Hornby 00 Rails

Can anyone advise me about Hornby track.

I recently acquired a layout which had been stored for over ten years. I have cleaned the track which is obviously steel as there has been some corrosion, especially affecting the points, which although electric do still operate. the problem is that some of the contacts even after cleaning are preventing the current running where it should.

There are lots of auctions running on Ebay for track, but when did steel rails cease and what are modern rails made of please ?

Can anyone tell me also if the working electric motors on these old steel points can be fitted to new points, should I replace them.

does anyone know of any discount suppliers for Hornby or Peco track and other items ?

Andy Howes Leicester UK

Reply to
Andrew Howes

"Andrew Howes" wrote

Hornby (or at least Roco on their behalf, and more recently the Chinese) have been producing track made from nickel-silver for the best part of ten years.

They will not fit the latest Hornby points which have a totally different method of operation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Peco still sells steel track, and it comes with some of the cheaper train sets, e.g. LifeLike, in N. America. Brass track used to be popular (e.g. Atlas) but it's pretty well disappeared now. Nickel silver (actually a copper-nickel-zinc alloy) is pretty well universal.

Reply to
MartinS

=>"John Turner" wrote: =>> =>> "Andrew Howes" wrote =>> =>>> There are lots of auctions running on Ebay for track, but when did =>>> steel rails cease and what are modern rails made of please ? =>> =>> Hornby (or at least Roco on their behalf, and more recently the =>> Chinese) have been producing track made from nickel-silver for the =>> best part of ten years. =>> =>>> Can anyone tell me also if the working electric motors on these old =>>> steel points can be fitted to new points, should I replace them. =>> =>> They will not fit the latest Hornby points which have a totally =>> different method of operation. =>

=>Peco still sells steel track, and it comes with some of the cheaper =>train sets, e.g. LifeLike, in N. America. Brass track used to be popular =>(e.g. Atlas) but it's pretty well disappeared now. Nickel silver =>(actually a copper-nickel-zinc alloy) is pretty well universal. =>

=>-- =>Martin S.

All true, but none of it mates with the old Hornby OO steel track. Andrew IMO has two options: a) search for old Hornby track to match what he's got; or b) toss it and use Peco or other current track (steel or otherwise - I recommend nickel silver.) NB that older Hornby stock with coarse wheels will not run well through modern turnouts (points, track switches.)

HTH&HF

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir