Hornby Point Motors

Having acquired a load of Hornby track - steel rail from about 15 years ago, i understand that the point motors, which are all working those steel points, do not work with the latest Hornby points.

Can anyone tell me if Hornby made a nickel silver point product that is compatible with the point motors, i.e. between the end of steel track and before their latest points.

I have a dilemma. The track is steel and therefore not best. There are eleven sets of points with electric operation. All electric motors work, but a few of the points have corroded and ideally want throwing away. If I can use the electric motors it will save a lot in replacement cost.

Andy Howes Leicester UK

Reply to
Andrew Howes

Having acquired a load of Hornby track - steel rail from about 15 years ago, I understand that the point motors, which are all working those steel points, do not work with the latest Hornby points.

Can anyone tell me if Hornby made a nickel silver point product that is compatible with the point motors, i.e. between the end of steel track and before their latest points.

I have a dilemma. The track is steel and therefore not best. There are eleven sets of points with electric operation. All electric motors work, but a few of the points have corroded and ideally want throwing away. If I can use the electric motors it will save a lot in replacement cost.

Andy Howes Leicester UK

I used to use Hornby nickel track and the point motors worked just fine! What sort of connection do yours have? Mine just had a spike that located in a hole in the tie bar much like the Peco ones.

Reply to
Mike

Ah, he could have the older type of motor, the flat ones that sat on the side of the points, which if I am correct cannot be used with the newer type points.

New peco or hornby motors can be had for £3-ish new, but that isn't what Andrew wants.

Hornby MIGHT have made nickel silver points to the old pattern, but I think that might be unlikely. I think scouring swapmeets, model shops that might hold old stock still, or if you're able to tell nickel silver from steel in a computer image, ebay.

Reply to
DJO

My motors are indeed the spike sticking out and connected to that tie bar. Simple. I'll ask around a bit more. No rush at present.

Andy Howes

Reply to
Andrew Howes

I'm a little confused.

You seem to be saying that you have the old fashioned track where the tie bar is operated by a small lever at the side of the point. These require a small flat motor which clips to the side of the point and has a long thin operating rod that fits into a hole in the lever.

Then you seem to be saying you have the newer twin coil motors which attach to the underside of the point and operate the tie bar directly by means of a rod through the motor's armature which passes through a hole in the middle of the tie bar. These are, as stated in another reply, almost identical to the Peco twin coil motors and operate the modern points, which are also remarkably similar to the Peco product.

Reply to
Chris White

Chris

Your first para is correct. They are small and flat clipping to the side of the point. They are the old style and because I have eleven of them in working order, I am trying to see if there are Hornby points, which are not the new style (the motors do not work them), nor should they be steel rail (which I have and are a bit iffy). I also understand that most locos do not run easily over these older points ?

Ideally therefore I am hoping that Hornby might have made nickel silver rail points which will accommodate my working switches and which will be compatible with whatever locos I equip the model with !!!!!!

Andy Howes Leicester

Reply to
Andrew Howes

To the best of my knowledge the answer is no, but I could easily be wrong.

As mentioned elsewhere the more recent twin coil motors can be had for just a few pounds each.

If you really want to use the old motors you'll have to either try the motors at right angles to the points so they can operate the tie bar directly or put in a right angle crank. Cranks can be bought or simply made from a small piece of metal with some stiff wire to operate the point tie bar.

Reply to
Chris White