point motors

Hi everyone, I have Peco pointwork on my layout and wish to electrify it. I dont want unfloor motors, but would like something on the top of the baseboard, a la Fleischman. What are my options? scoot

Reply to
scoot

Yes, thanks Keith, I have seen them, but they are big and bulky when compared to their European counterparts. I'm hoping for other suggestiions. scoot

Reply to
scoot

Peco do the appropriate hardware for above baseboard operation of points, suggest you look in Railway Modeller for relevent adverts (subject you getting it) or website such as Mainly Trains for dealers who will supply mail order. The point motors basically slot into a plastic base which is secured onto the baseboard. These bases have a plastic operating rod which clips onto the point.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

They do take up space though, and there isn't always room for them because they stick out at right angles.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Memory wire. You'll probably have to make your own actuators, though.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Memory wire?? What's that then, new to me?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

MartinS

keith,

C&L do a kit, or bits.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Under pressure from the International side of the business, Hornby are supposed to be bring out some surface mount, low profile point motors this year, that should be compatible with most, if not all, makes of points.

Reply to
Ian

Thanks Jim and Martin. That is very interesting, I have certainly not come across it before. Both sites now bookmarked.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

There are numerous makes of low profile point motors. The likes of Atlas (US) Fleischmann (De) and Roco (Au) should be reasonably available. The problem with low profile point motors is that they trade robustness for small size. Such motors can be screwed to the baseboard and connected to Peco point tiebars with a short length of wire, looped or "L"ed to suit. I have done this with a 90 degree bend in the middle so that precise length adjustment is a matter of increasing or decreasing the bend with pliers. I've bought numerous Roco and Atlas motors on the internet by buying damaged second-hand turnouts at cheap prices. People lift the track on redundant layouts and damage the turnouts and in doing so minimise the value. (well, that will be the end of that source ;-)

I would only use such motors where there is no space underneath for more robust (Peco) motors, and I make sure I have plenty of spares as minor misalignments can give them a short working life. Roco motors have an end-off switch - they save the coils but present something more to fail :-(

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter