White Glue...

...for laying N-Scale flextrack? Pros, cons? I have laid most of the roadbed with elmer's and it ain't budging anytime soon, so I wonder. Should I use white glue or go with liquid nails? I'm using atlas code 55, btw. That is, when atlas decides to ship some right hand turnouts...

tia

-TG

Reply to
Tim Gill

I have had a lot of success with laying track with liquid nails (n-scale). The white glue just never held quite the way I wanted it to. Mostly, I have worked with liquid nails when gluing to sound deadening board (a homasote-like sheet) and it has worked wonders. But, the white glue has held about the same to the plywood I have used for my friend's mainline. overall, I would go with liquid nails when gluing the track to something other than wood. If gluing to wood, the white glue

Thanks

Brandon

Reply to
N2trains

You can also add to your list if adhesives, FUTURE Floor Wax. Try it, you may like it. The nice thing about it is that you can easily remove items glued down with it by spraying Windex on the spot. Windex desolves the Future and you get to make changes without destroying the track.

Dave Decker

Tim Gill wrote:

Reply to
dsq

I use Yellow woodworking glue - it give me plenty of time to clean up and has a stronger bond. It takes a bit of work to get loose, but warm soapy water will break the bond if you soak the area 3 or 4 times.

I have an NTrak layout that has lived in my unheated barn for 6 years with no lose of bonding (I live in Michigan where the temp swing in the barn is from 140 degrees in the loft to -20 degrees).

Doug

Reply to
doug houseman

I've never used liquid nails, but I built an N-scale layout with elmer's back in 1983. By 1993 the glue turned brittle, started cracking and letting the track go free. The problem could have been the way I ballasted it, but now I use Matte Medium just like I used to use elmer's. I never seems to get brittle.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

"Daniel A. Mitchell" wrote

SNIPS

Which brand of the polymer medium are you using?

Thank you.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Jim McLaughlin

I've used several, "Liquitex" (sp.?) being one. I don't see any difference between them. Be sure to get the FLAT (Matte) type. When I get in a hurry, I also use the Woodland Scenics pre-mixed scenery cement. It's more expensive, but you don't have to dilute the stuff for small jobs.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Jim McLaughl>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell