Interesting rubber hose

Found something interesting in a dumpster today (near a liquidated hydraulics shop where I picked something up).

It is a 2' long rubber hose, about 1.5" thick, with ID of only about

3/8 to 7/16". In other words, most of the volume of this hose (90%) is rubber.

I will personally use it for making custom motor mounts. It could also potentially be used as a disciplining tool. What is the intended use of this hose though, somehow I feel that it is not for hydraulics.

Ignoramus8260

Last time I heard of such hose was for use with steam. I think the purpose was to provide extra insulation.

Reply to
M Cuthill

I've used similar thick-wall hose for vacuum connections to glassware setups. Is it solid or is the rubber sort of a dense foam?

Stan

Reply to
stans4

It is solid, heavy rubber. It is somewhat soft to the extent that the hose bends to large radiuses, but it is very firm and heavy.

Ignoramus8260

Is it rifled?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Does not seem to be, I will double check tonight.

Ignoramus8260

I found a solid rubber cylinder about 18" long once, lying next to a train track. Never knew where it came from or what it was used for, but 1" slices of it make really nice nonskid machine feet. I just chucked 'em in the 3-jaw on the lathe, rammed through a 3/8" bit, then counterbored whatever to clear a 3/8" carriage bolt head. Then I took them out and shoved in a carriage bolt and put a washer and nut on the backside and snugged it in tight. The square shank on the carriage bolt bites firmly into the rubber and you can suck it down tight. The bolt extends maybe 2" to thread into the machine. No need to put a wrench on the thing to adjust height, you can grab the foot and spin it up or down.

I sliced off the 1" pieces on the bandsaw.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Sounds very nice. I could use it for something similar also.

Ignoramus8260

disciplining tool? Blink blink..you could beat a man to death with it.

Interesting choice of terms..and place.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Sounds like the hose we use to use between a vacuum pump and the system in the chemistry dept. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

When I built my MDF framed CNC router/engraver I used hockey pucks for for anti-vibration mounts. Just popped them in the lathe and drilled/counterbored a hole for the bolt and mounted them. They work just fine and were very cheap as packs of pucks are sold all over the place here in 'Hockey Country' for a couple of bucks a pack.

Reply to
Larry Green

Reply to
RichD

Wow! How did you know that?

GWE

RichD wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It was tongue in cheek. He has at least one small child.

I was going to say, don't use it on the kid. When he grows up, the kid will be bigger than him and still remember where that chunk-O-hose is.

Or, as the story goes, father tells his son, "go get that old army blanket for your grandmother, she's going to be sleeping out in the garage from now on."

The kid comes back with the blanket, and is busy cutting it in half with scissors when the father exclaims "what the HELL are you doing, I told you to give that blanket to your grandmother."

"I'm saving half of it for you."

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

High pressure hose for Hydraulic oil. Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus8260 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Whom I have never beaten to date. (I also have a 8 month old)

I actually think that children who are not beaten by parents and do not experience parental violence, generally grow up better behaved, all other things being equal.

That was a joke, the hose is a lot like a truncheon.

Ignoramus8260

Well, this is one way - Just found it yesterday. This is the 3' narrow-gauge version, but they use the same thing on normal 4' 8-1/2" railroads.

Go wander around the site - Work Safe, guaranteed to kill a few hours.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Nice theory. Sleep with a gun under your pillow.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Prefaced with the fact that there is a major difference between beatings and physical discipline.......... A LARGE percentage of people walking the streets these days could have done well to have had some fairly severe discipline in their younger years.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thinking of one of them "around the corner" guns are we??

Reply to
Tom