Help VFD selection

I'm in a unique situation. I have 3phase going to my shop. Works great. However, I would like a VFD to speed up my 500 rpm maximum LeBlonde 13" lathe (1949 vintage). Couple of questions:

1) I can't seem to distinguish between single phase and three phase INPUT on most of the ebay items. Seems like most customers want single phase input. 2) In addition to my lathe, I also own a large Tree Mill, Brown & Sharpe #2 surface grinder, 2 large bench grinders, all 3 phase. Is there any reason I would want speed control on the above machinery? The mill goes to 3000± rpm.

Anybody that is using 3phase input simply to control speed, I would like to hear what brand and model you are using. Having that information, I can shop wisely.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You can safely assume that most any VFD you see will be three phase=20 input, except perhaps for some very small ( 2) In addition to my lathe, I also own a large Tree Mill, Brown & Sharpe= #2=20

A VFD is real handy on a vertical mill. Just one example; you can drill=20 a hole at 2000 RPM, then power tap and reverse at 100 RPM without=20 touching the belts. For easy speed changes you'll want to use a pot for=20 speed control rather than the drive's keypad.

I've used quite a few different brands over the years in industrial=20 settings, and when I have a choice my preference is for Yaskawa drives,=20 then Mitsubishi. The Magnetek GPDs are good solid older generation=20 drives that were made by Yaskawa and are quite common on ebay. It'd be=20 easier to be more specific knowing whether you want a new drive or are=20 willing to go the ebay or Dealer's Electric route. Automation Direct is=20 a good source if you want new, but you're limited to Hitachi or their=20 house brand.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

You can safely assume that most any VFD you see will be three phase input, except perhaps for some very small ( 2) In addition to my lathe, I also own a large Tree Mill, Brown & Sharpe

A VFD is real handy on a vertical mill. Just one example; you can drill a hole at 2000 RPM, then power tap and reverse at 100 RPM without touching the belts. For easy speed changes you'll want to use a pot for speed control rather than the drive's keypad.

I've used quite a few different brands over the years in industrial settings, and when I have a choice my preference is for Yaskawa drives, then Mitsubishi. The Magnetek GPDs are good solid older generation drives that were made by Yaskawa and are quite common on ebay. It'd be easier to be more specific knowing whether you want a new drive or are willing to go the ebay or Dealer's Electric route. Automation Direct is a good source if you want new, but you're limited to Hitachi or their house brand.

Ned Simmons

The Hitachi units are top notch and the house brand is good, too.

As for ebay buys, it doesn't matter if they are 3-phase or single-phase input. If they are single-phase, connect two phases to the input and you're in business. The minor unbalance is not going to cause any problems in your shop.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

[...]

Thanks Ned, My tree mill speed can be varied from about 300 to 3000 without any belt changes. You do however have to stop the spindle to go from the 300-800 range to the 800-3000 range. Of course, you would have to stop the spindle in any case if you are going to change drill bits. Thanks for the advice.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary