I'm going to break the dash board...

Years ago I opened the dash on my 1978 F250 to fix the dash lights. The plastic back panel that held it all together disintegrated into little particles as I slid it forward and all the gages and bits and pieces rained out on the floor like hail stones. My fight reflex kicked in and I watched in slow motion as they bounced up and down a couple times before normal time kicked back in. I sat there stun. Maybe even a little bit in shock with my jaw hanging open as I held the empty shell and front of the dash panel. I drove it with a lonely little speedometer resting unsecured in a gigantic cavern until finally I just gave the truck away.

Seriously I had been fixing it up. Rebuilt engine. Rebuilt tranny. New Headman headers and exhaust.. New brakes. Big old 4 barrel sitting on top of that 460. Oversized 35 gallon fuel tank in the back. Frame mounted helper pump. New tires and wheel. I just gave it away.

All the heart was just taken right out of me. I am not sure I've had the dash out of a car or truck since. The front of an FLHT or FLRI fairing doesn't count. The dash stays in place on those.

I just bought a new headlight switch module and transfer case switch module for the 07 2500HD. I'm going to take the dash off, pop the modules out, and replace them. I just ordered the parts from LMC Truck.

If I come back in a week or so offering to sell a truck for the low low price of free ninety five you will know it went no better than last time I pulled a truck dash apart.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've looked at a couple videos first this time. Looks like the front dash panel comes off with clips. Lower the steering wheel and shifter out of the way and carefully pop it off and try not to break any of the clip pockets. If I feel particularly brave I might setup a camera in the back seat so you guys can see a grown man cry if it doesn't go well.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've looked at a couple videos first this time. Looks like the front dash panel comes off with clips. Lower the steering wheel and shifter out of the way and carefully pop it off and try not to break any of the clip pockets. If I feel particularly brave I might setup a camera in the back seat so you guys can see a grown man cry if it doesn't go well.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

-------------------

I pulled the dash from my '91 Ford Ranger once and hoped I'd never have to again. The factory shop manual was a considerable help.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've had the dash of my '86 GMC off a few times for various repairs , and am faced with it again . This time for a fan switch on the heater control . The hardest part on this one is pulling the aftermarket radio mount sleeve . Today I'm considering pulling the big box speaker from behind the seat and reinstalling the stock speakers . A lot easier task than pulling the dash apart .

Reply to
Snag

Just pre-emtptively order the new dash from LMC at the same time. It will all but guarantee the original will not break - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

LOL-IRL

Reply to