I'm going to make a small forge.

Having been royally p*ssed off with the Whisper Momma, I'm going to construct a small forge for the purposes of forge welding.
Tiny in fact, although I'm going to make a stand for it at a reasonable working height.
The Whisper Momma will eventually burn out, but I'm tired of waiting for it to do so.
The idea is similar to a one-bricker alla Wayne Goddard, but I'm going to use Kaowool, and a hard fire brick inside a 1/4" thick stainless steel pipe (it was laying around from another project that never happened).
Powered with my trusty JTH-7, in theory it should be sweet.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Regards Charles
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good Luck!
You may be onto a new design!
Did you consider the "Freon Tank" design on the ABANA website?
Add pictures here
βœ–
RAM³ wrote:

Sure, if I wanted another large forge ;-)
I want a small forge, purpose designed for forge welding. The maximum width doesn't need to be more than 2" for my purposes.
I've proved I can make a small furnace that will melt brass and bronze in 3-5 minutes (from a cold start :-) ). Powered by the JTH-7.
I'm pretty much going to do the same with this small forge.
It should work out. I need to buy some Kaowool and I should be good to go.
Regards Charles
Add pictures here
βœ–

do you have seperate furnaces for ferrous and non ferrous?? In the Navy they wouldnt let us mix, the two cause copper is a bad impurity for iron and steel??>

Add pictures here
βœ–
smokeyred wrote:

Hi,
I don't melt ferrous metals... yet, and if I did the process would be done in a sealed crucible, so it wouldn't matter.
Currently I melt and alloy nonferrous metals and alloys. I am getting rid of some furnaces and building another (for 20 - 30 kg melts).
My forge is used exclusively for steel and alloys thereof, although I am getting a piece of bloomery iron, which should be very interesting to play with.
Regards Charles
Add pictures here
βœ–