"We're going to need a bigger boat." -Roy Scheider

After I accidentally found that 1:87 shark and installed it (him?) on the layout, I just *had* to build the boat that did the job: "Orca",
from the movie "Jaws".
There is no kit available, so I kitbashed the resin hull down from a larger HO gauge trawler by sectioning it lengthwise to get the correct (?) beam width and then trimming circa 20 HO feet off of the stern. The rest is mostly scratchbuilt; with liberal doses of small boat parts and dockside details that I had in my parts box.
I worked mostly from downloaded photos of the boat from the movie (Google images is your friend); discovering in the process that lots of the "shipboard" scenes were actually shot on sets, so it took some finageling to make both the size and the proportions fit what we saw in the movie.
She's just short of 48' at the waterline, and so far everyone who's ever seen the movie has instantly been able to identify her on first sight, so i'm reasonably happy with the way she came out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5331437842/#/photos/33885727@N03/5331437842/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5331441680/#/photos/33885727@N03/5331441680/lightbox /
We now return you to your normal train programs...
~Pete

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5331437842/#/photos/33885727@N03/5331437842/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5331441680/#/photos/33885727@N03/5331441680/lightbox /
Nice job.
--
Cheers
Roger Traviss

Sweet!
"Farewell and adieu to you fine Spanish ladies, Farwell and adieu all you ladies of Spain; For we've received orders to sail for old England; And perhaps we shall never more see you again."
"Oh, I love to go swimmin' with bow legged wimmen' ..."
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Well it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly, grog! All for me beer and tobbacco For we've spent all our tin, with the ladies drinkin' gin And across the western ocean we must wander.
Or...a railroad track-gang worker's song.
I'm a bold English navvy, and I works on the line I'm courting a woman, in Newcastle-on-Tyne I'm tired, sick and weary from working all day To a cot on the hillside I'm makin' my way
I first had a wash, and I then had a shave For courtin' my love I knew how to behave The moon in the skies, and the stars they shone down And I hit for the road......wi' me navvy boots on
I found my love's window, my knock she did know And out of her slumbers she woked* so slow I knocked her again and she says: "Is't you, John?" and I says "Yes, indeed! ...With me navvy boots on!"
So she opened the door and she then let me in It was to her bedroom she called* me then Well the night it 'twere warm and the blankets rolled down So I jumped into bed......with me navvy boots on
Early next morn at the break of the day I says to my true love: "I must go away" "Sleep down, sleep down, for you know you've done wrong For to sleep here all night......with your navvy boots on"
Well six months they flew past, and seven did haste This pretty fair maid she grew stout round the waist When eight months were over and nine come along Then she hands me my son......with his navvy boots on
Come all you sweet fair maids, take heed what I've said And 'ner let a navvy come into your bed For when he gets warm he'll take a leap on And he'll jump on your bones.....with his navvy boots on
*Note: This is an *old* song. As in Elizabethan English, the terminal "ed" is fully pronounced in words such as "woked" or "called"; making the correct pronunciation "woke-ed" or "call-ed".
Pronounced thus, the above lines scan properly.
~Pete

NIcely done. I esp. like the sea gull on the mast.

Thank you. Good eye!
There are wharf-rats on the jetty, too, but you can't see them in these photos.
~Pete

You should have given the link to the shark picture as well. I found it after clicking through a few times. Too bad you couldn't save that victim in time.
Now, what's up with the War of the Worlds tripods?

I already did -in a thread that was posted a couple of weeks ago.

Hey, Sharks gotta eat too! (Candy-gram!)
> Now, what's up with the War of the Worlds tripods?
It's a 1950's layout. QED.