Bigger U-Boat Snaps?..

...ok, so I've been experimenting with my camera - a Coolpix S-6 - and it seems that my old Coolpix 995 (which is busted...:( ) took far better snaps at 640x480 than my new one does. To get nice pics from the S-6 I have to shoot at larger size...up to 1 meg size snaps. If I go that big, are folks going to be able to see 'em?

Gonna fool around some more and see if I can get something any smaller without jaggies...

Reply to
Rufus

If the ones below are what you mean they came through fine. They didn't seem too large.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Great - I had tried some of the higher resolutions and the files were just too large, I thought. I'll stick with this size/res with this camera.

Reply to
Rufus

640/480 usually look fine and aren't too pig. there's no need of the extreme settings like 2048/1536 some people use, certainly not for survey pics. yours look fine. it helps me to view pics full screen.
Reply to
someone

Rufus wrote the following:

I have the Coolpix L18 8MP. Bought at Sam's last year for less than $100. I take pics at the full resolution and size of 16" x 20" then resize them in my image program to web size. I also crop them to the main points of the image, cutting out the extraneous background that has nothing to do with the subject..

Reply to
willshak

That's what I used with my Coolpix 995 - but is has a "VGA Fine" mode that really made things look good - no jaggies in its macro shots.

My new Coolpix S-6 has a "TV" mode for 640x480, but no "Fine" selection...so the shots are pretty jagged in comparison. I used the S-6s "PC" mode for my last series of shots - that's 1024x768. Better, but still not as nice as my 995, IMO.

I tried shooting full rez and using Graphic Converter and/or the S-6 built in to reduce them to 640x480 and they still got jagged. I also found out that there is a firmware update for my S-6, and I installed that yesterday - we'll see if that improves anything, but I'm skeptical.

Reply to
Rufus

I tried that and it still didn't work very well...I have a Coolpix S-6. My 995 did a far better job, but I think it's CCD fogged on me after a trip to Florida some years back and now it just shoots fuzzy.

Reply to
Rufus

well, don't get too hung on it. generally if it looks good to you, it will to others. don't forget you can high rez and then drop the rez for size but keeping quality.

Reply to
someone

That's the problem...I look at some of the older ones, and they don't look as good. But I also discovered another Scene mode to go with the Macro mode - so maybe that will be it. But if my last ones are working out, I'll stick with that size, though.

Reply to
Rufus