U-Boat Progress...

...snaps up on ABMS. Not sure these pics came out as good as some of my previous ones.

Reply to
Rufus

WoW, that thing is HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
AM

...not as huge as the GATO kit - that one's about 1/3 bigger...if not more.

This one is the Type VIIC, and I still have the other one, and a GATO to get to.

Reply to
Rufus

rufus, all i see are differnt light conditions. could be the season or the lighting. otherwise they are fine and the model's colors are shown accurately. i like your blue meany in the background in the garage. it give an ethereal quality to the light. is that your soccer mom suv behind the vette? (hehe)

Reply to
someone

Actually, that was a visiting Vette - mine is in the garage, and yeah - that's my truck on the other side.

I've got the clamps off now, squeezing a small gap at the bow. By morning I should be ready to start dressing the keel and working on what I want to do with the deck - whether to do the etch first or put the deck on and then do the etch.

I'll shoot some more snaps before I place the deck and/or start fitting the etch to it.

Reply to
Rufus

vans are damned handy. you know about my ex-airforce flight line, right? put a whole damn soccer field in that one! yeah, more pics before you button it up please. going out tomorrow night? not me, no reason or parties by anyone i like.

Reply to
someone

I was just debating that...I guess it'll depend on how cold it is. Can't see going out if it's just too cold to take a bike. I'm sure there'll be hi-jinx going on at the bar...and in general they like us to bring our bike in and rev 'em up on the dance floor at midnight.

Sometimes...last time I tried that I couldn't get my apes through the door...and I rode up some stairs to try it.

Reply to
Rufus

now that created a totally funny movie scene in my head. i rode dirt bikes up and down outdoors in boston for part of the urban version of trials. the only time o rode in doors was in hs when it earned me 3 days off. ok, the ape joke...why do harley riders have ape hangers? to keep their knuckles off the floor. why do disco guys wear platform shoes.....? you would probably be warm enough going home but is it worth the hassle? what do you have 24" or extreme? let me guess, on the older lady?

Reply to
someone

Stock on the old gal - she would have made it in the door, but I was on the younger one and it's got 14" apes on it...just a bit too wide for a doorway.

I rode up the steps at the Silver Dollar...then I ended up having to turn around on the porch and ride back down when I wouldn't fit though...which reminds me - there's some pictures of the proprietress on the back of the bike behind me from that day that I ought to get hold of...

First and only time I've ever ridden a Harley up and down a set of stars...still dunno how I did that. Artificial skill enhancement and peer pressure, most likely.

Reply to
Rufus

perhaps, well, you do ride competently. if i can trust a guy riding with and behgind me, i know they're a good rider.riding with you in front is easy. you pay attention to the road, (too many riders are oblivious) and look in your mirrors! i know i won't have to worry about panic stops. you won't be where i end up. there are people i won't ride with, but you i will ride with anywhere. i was sure the older bike had the apes. i was obviously sure wrong. oh well. let's see how confused i am, the newer bike is louder?

Reply to
someone

Thanks, man. Mini apes on the older one, taller ones on the new. Yeah

- the newer bike has a set of Bubb shorties on it...louder than the '98.

U-boat's starting to look like a U-boat...

Reply to
Rufus

that's what you want to do tonight. bang in das boot and build. i've got 8 builds that just need finishing, all minor. can i do it by midnight? i got a half gallon of na egg nog, whipped up sweet and sour chicken and pork fried rice for fuel and i'm on! i lined up 4 lindberg kits that need paint touch ups and did them in 1 hour. i have a bagged short nose 190 about 98% done and that's next. no directions or markings so i don't know who's it is. i'll dope out the brand when it's done. this is fun!

Reply to
someone

...the place is full o' fumes once more, no further stimulus required here!

I've spent the day dressing the seam along the bottom of the hull - it's starting to shape up nicely. If things really progress, I may end up getting the airbrush out and working the hull colors...again, I'm not sure if I want to do that before or after I fit the deck.

Lots of little itty-bitty etched parts to fit to the deck...that's gonna take a while. But now that I'm on it I'll probably finish it before Jan is out...I need to get some brass rod and a soldering iron to do the railings...gonna replace the plastic.

Reply to
Rufus

that sounds like a very goof wip. and the new pics are really motivating. i can't build man yet. i want to use the adds that you've described and really put the nice on it. i am inspired, gotta build, gotta sweat the small and put the time in. i think i can work on my 1/48 bv 141, the hipm kit. the kind guy i bought it from, right here in rms land, had the masks and decals to go with. it's such an odd duck that 1/48 is a real neccessity. the office has much going on, lots of radios and detailers stuff to make. i want to really put the touch on it. i've been afraid to start, questioning my abilities. but nothing ventured=a closet queen. i want that bird making people do double takes. what a great hobby.

Reply to
someone

oops, that's good not goof.

Reply to
someone

I just finished parting out all the running gear and stern work. It's really starting to look like something now that I can sit it in the stand without having to clamp or rubberband it together. I'm going to paint it in one of the black/white schemes - haven't seen anyone do that before. It'll be different.

I also have a few other mostly-builts lying around the bench...a 1/48 Tamyia Wildcat that needs only paint and decals, and SA-2 in about the same state, and that little Super Hornet lurking behind the U-boat. Maybe I can get to them in the coming weeks, too.

Then there's my next/current 1/32 F-14 sitting on the other bench about

3/4 built...
Reply to
Rufus

"Goofing at the table!"..to quote Kerouac...

I think I figured out why my pics look goofy to me - my old camera had a "VGA Fine" mode - full res, but only a 640x480 pic. I think with my new one I have to shoot full rez and then down-convert for posting, in order to avoid the jaggies.

My old one got over-humidified after a trip to Florida, but I think it came back to life unexpectedly after sitting a year in the hi-dez...charging batts now and I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Rufus

you have jewelers tools and good tinkerer's sense, or you wouldn't build kits, so why not pull the covers and do a lube with light wtach oil and clean contacts with professional cotton swabs and switch cleaner. you could do it in a couple of hours and have your old one new again. good practice for etch, nest pas? florida, blue hair and spiders! lovely state, though.

Reply to
someone

where can i see that scheme? even u baot net had zip on it. i remember when you were hot on the super....perhaps the fire will relight itself? i wish i knew why current aircraft, starting mid 60's, hold so little attraction to me. you would think a tech geek would go nuts?

Reply to
someone

I just took a couple test shots - looks like it's focusing, but that the CCD is fogged on one side...more like at the edges - which is what I remember it doing after the trip to Jacksonville, except then it wouldn't even focus. Looks like the gators got it...

...so I'll just use the newer one and shrink 'em for post.

Reply to
Rufus