Fingery picturebox (and turning result)

2 crossposts in one day, tsk.
As some will know, I have a new fingery picturebox (aka digital camera) and I did hint that sometime I most post something taken with same.
Also, today, a new camera bag arrived, which is big enough to hold not only the camera, leads, spare batteries and cards but also the filter adapter and a few filters which I recently acquired.
The filters are normal 58mm and come in those clear plastic cases where the lid twists to grip the base with seveeral little blobs on the inside. However, in this case, the lids are too tall (meaning the filter rattles inside) and also didn't fasten very well as the little blobs didn't extend to the end of the lid.
The solution to this was to change the jaws in the lathe chuck to the other set, grip the lid in the chuck and turn about 80 thou' (2mm) from the end, making it shorter and incidentally making the blobs that grip the base work better as well.
This can be seen in the picture linked to here
http://www.roman-road.co.uk/temp/P5060275.JPG
which has been left untouched bar for cropping, so it also serves as an indication of the output of the FPB.
The modified lid is the one on the right.
I was quite pleased that I managed to turn this stuff, it's the kind of hard clear plastic that's prone to break.
The picture is at focal length (equivalent) 61mm, 1/60s, f3.5, using flash, SHQ mode storage (best compressed mode). The camera will do raw as well.
✖
On May 6, 12:40 pm, Austin Shackles

John S must be busy, no witty remarks yet. Come on lad we are waiting. T.W.
Add pictures here
✖

John S must be busy, no witty remarks yet. Come on lad we are waiting. T.W.
He is probably helping Ketan to load up the artic for Harrogate.
For some reason Outlook Express will not auto indent this message. Any other messages I select auto indents OK.
Add pictures here
✖

But this one indents OK. Strange.
Add pictures here
✖

Interesting story for those of us who (like me) are into photography and engineering. Have had problems with those filter cases before, never thought of turning them down (hangs head with embarrassment).
Would have been even more interesting if you'd told us what model of FBP you used.
David
--
David Littlewood

Add pictures here
✖
On or around Wed, 6 May 2009 16:01:57 +0100, David Littlewood

Olympus SP-550 UZ.
✖

Thanks.
David Littlewood

Add pictures here
✖
Umm, all the filters I have bought have a soft (usually a rubbery sort of plastic) insert to prevent such rattling about.
mh
Add pictures here
✖

I too had that problem with the old SLR film cameras. The solution was a pad of lens tissue.
Late last month, I also bought a DSLR, and need a new set of filters. With the wet climate here on the West coast of British Columbia, a case or rain cover is the first priority!
Steve R.
Add pictures here
✖

    ITYM "Wet Coast"! Something like 4 out of the first 6 months I lived in Vancover (from 11/83) were classified as "the wettest month ever".
    I remember asking my companion on a ski-lift at Whistler once where he came from. "Ever-wet, Washington," was his reply.
    Amazing that Expo '86 was so dry! (I got rained on the last day, riding a motorcycle back from a conference at Stanford U.)
--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

LOL! A few years ago a small storm ( in area) hit the mountain I live on. It dumped a foot of rain in an hour! The road was running 4 inches deep, and a 2 foot wide creek became a 10 foot deep raging torrent!
Steve R.
Add pictures here
✖
On or around Wed, 6 May 2009 17:04:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com enlightened us thusly:

so do these, but the box was too tall and so they still rattled. I could of course have put added padding into them, but that wouldn't have been a challenge.
✖
Austin Shackles wrote:

Can it take six month exposures?
http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/01/21/photograph-exposed-for-6-months /
or even 30 minute ones for that matter?
http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/05/08/long-exposure-shows-roomba-cleaning-path /
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the feedback. I was very much experimenting with "Distances" by having the focus on the further-back part of the wall rather than the close-by bit, so if you like, only the middle third - by depth - is in focus. Doesn't quite work, but it's... interesting.
Add pictures here
✖

That'd depend on how far up the lamp-post it is. And how tall the dogs are, of course.
--
Skipweasel
✖

I like that!

I sometimes still have to unforget that I can take pretty well as many shots as I like with my FPB; I only hit the limit when all my unforgettery cards are full. Even last weekend, when I was strolling round a couple of steam rallies, I was occasionally still looking through the viewfinder at something gently hissing steam, or putt-putt-putting quietly to itself, and gooving "is that really worth a picture?"[30053] instead of pressing the button.
[30053] as if there were still a marginal pbfg for each frame I take, as there was when I hfrq the film cameras (which now rest, with their lenses, unhfrq and probably valueless, in their bag).
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

Taking the extra pictures is only the start. The way to get better pictures is to sit down and look at the pictures and decide which ones are good. When I was shooting 35mm slides I decided that I would never keep more than a third of the slides from any film. So I always chucked out most of the pictures I shot. Then once a year or so I'd go back through all the ones I had kept with the aim of discovering a few more that weren't good enough to be worth keeping.
My advice would be that if you want to get a reputation for being a good photographer, weed out all of the duff shots before you show the pictures to anyone else.
--
Bernard Peek

Add pictures here
✖
Austin Shackles wrote:

Talking of such fingery picturebox (aka digital camera) thingies, can you - or anyone - recommend a cheap-ish camera which will take pictures of real-life things sized between a sheet of A4 paper and a postage stamp?
Don't need loadsa pixels, I mainly want to put piccys of some stuff I've done on the internet, but my present camera tends to take blurred piccys of things in that size range, no matter what I try.
I'm not a photographer-type, and I'm not interested in learning about f-stops, exposures, apertures, or any of that rubbish.
Ta,
-- Peter Fairbrother
Add pictures here
✖

You are probably trying to get too close to the subject, trying to make it fill the frame. Try taking pictures from a bit further away. You can crop the image to the right size in software.
--
Bernard Peek

Add pictures here
✖
enlightened us thusly:

good advice. If you go closer you distort shapes even if you get sharp focus.
For close-up of postage-stamp-size, you'll want a decent macro mode - in SLR days we used to use extension tubes and/or close-up lenses on the front of the lens.
Most half-decent FBPs will have macro, many these days have supermacro too.
hmmm. that reminds me, took some pics of ants to test that the other day, not uploaded 'em from the camera yet.
✖