Tool gloat: Unused Shaper

Hi!
<singing>Like a virgin ... </singing>
Some years ago, I was convinced here that I want a shaper. Looking from
time to time at tool dealers for a used shaper made me giving up more and more. But then, about 4 weeks ago, I found a note in some web-forum where someone asked what they think about that shaper. I followed the link and found it was a nice little Gack HE 20 (a horizontal shaper with 200mm stroke). The dealer claimed, it "looks very little used". There were only 3 pictures with something looking like a shaper. It took me 10 minutes to convince myself, to phone the dealer and place a order.
And then it came. I unpacked it and it was NEW! Like a virgin. Unused and old. :-) She was born ... errr ... built 1965, stored away in an army depot and found it's way to me 40 years later. The prize tag? 490.- EUR (about 650 US$). For a _new_ shaper! Professionaly stored and protected, there were only two places with a slight surface rust. Some dings in the paint and paint chipping off at one place.
<singing>You're in the army now ...</singing> Yes, as it was from the army, it is painted green (sorry, no camouflage pattern).
Along with it came a nice vice, 8 tool bits (4 normal, 4 small "economic" together with their holder) and a reverse-clapper-box and all the necessary tools. Manuals in two copys, final inspection protocol and an extra pack of grin-amplifiers for me! :-)
The interesting thing about that reverse clapper box is: If you are working with scribing lines and have the reverse clapper mounted you let run the shaper in reverse. Thus you have a free look at the lines, the burr is on the backside and the chips won't land on your nose.
I have put some photos online if you want: <http://www.motor-manufaktur.de/werkstatt/ludwig-gack/en_index.html>
As I had not enough room in my shop, I _had_ to run it outside in the garden. Sunday? I don't care. I can let run a shaper where I want and when I want! Now it is in the cellar on its base I casted for here.
I donated one manual to the Deutsches Museum in Munich. They have a little collection of Gack-brochures and let me copy them.
Enjoy! Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada

Very cool! Congrats.
Adam Smith Midland ON

<snip>
Here's a page with other Gack shapers.
http://www.csparks.com/Gack/index.xhtml
Gregm

Yes, I know that page and shaper! It is such a gem! Incredible. There is an accessory for my Gack that converts it to have the basic functionality of the K 150 (Hugh's model). But I doubt that I will ever get accessories. I'll try to make some of them by myself.
I'm in contact with Hugh and am translating him the brochure of his shaper.
Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:02:52 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Mller) wrote:

=======================Interesting variation on the basic shaper. Any rationale or reason for the lateral as opposed to the standard in/out action? Any operations that are especially easy compared to a conventional shaper? Does the literature/brochures indicate a particular class/type of work for the Gack?

But it is a classic shaper. Or did I explain/describe something wrong on my site?

It is in/out. It only can shape in reverse e.g. a pulling cut. The lateral shaper is the Gack K 150 that someone else noted. I do not have this one (but would like to have).

It says "Feinhobler" (for my shaper) that would be precision shaper or tool room shaper. They have quite some working samples of punches that were shaped. I'll add pictures from the brochure later that shows some of the add-ons. Among them is a dividing head and a different shaper head that shapes a radius at the end of the stroke.
Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada

This would give the enduser a far more productive footprint, Id think. And likely less weight for the same stroke length.
Rather fascinating implimentation actually. Something of a hybrid between planer and shaper
Gunner
"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:02:52 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Mller) wrote:
Very way cool!! That looks like a marvelous machine!! Well done Sir..well done indeed!
Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33
Gunner wrote:

Stuff of dreams; My dreams - your reality! Congrats.
Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
Nick Mller wrote:

Nick; That is an absolutely beautiful shaper! If I did not already have my Sheldon 12", Id be jealous. You made a great find and purchase.
RE: reverse clapper box I suggest that you pllace this in a box and not use it. I have seen the whole heads of shapers ripped off of the ram from a grab while working in reverse. Shapers are very much stronger in push mode with all of the ram mass behind the clapper/tool. It is better to be safe than sorry. I'd hate for you to ruin the shaper by operating it in reverse mode. Jim

Ooops!
Thanks for the warning! OK, the mass won't change in ververse, but the shaper head (in reverse) is only held by two screws and the dovetail of the head is also loaded "the wrong way". When I use it, I'll remember your warning and make only light cuts.
Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada
Nick Mller wrote:

It isn't just that, this looks like a classic crank shaper with a sliding block. The power stroke out is done with the sliding block positioned so it has the most leverage and the slowest velocity. The reverse stroke is done with the block positioned so the leverage is the least but the velocity is highest. If you have a tool grab on the reverse stroke, it might shuck some gear teeth at a minimum. If this uses a rack for back and forth movement, all that doesn't apply, but I've never seen one of those in so small a package. Lindsey Books used to have some small shaper manuals, I've got the one for the South Bend and a British one that's very good.
Stan
On 2 Jul 2006 18:25:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

As Nick noted, you reverse the motor direction to cut on the reverse stroke.
Pete Keillor

Wouldn't want to reverse the motor on my cincinatti: there is pressure lubrication if you run it in the correct direction, not if you run it in reverse. (Confused the hell out of me when I first started it up, then noticed it was running in the wrong direction, swapped two of the three phase leads, presto! oil pressure.)
Adam Smith Midland, ON
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:02:52 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Mller) wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
Brilliant Find, all comes to he who waits! The next step after the DRO is the stepper motor dividing head, then gear cutting :-)
Wishing you both a happy future
Regards Mark Rand RTFM

I'm still waiting for a better lathe ... :-)

I'll add a DRO to the shaper. Did I hear sacrileg? Regarding gear cutting, I'm thinking about a mechanical solution.

:-)) Thanks! I'll give here a smack in your name. BTW: Who else is smacking his machines from time to time?
Nick
--
The modular DRO
Available now in USA / Canada

    [ ... ]

    Congratulations!
    It wasn't expected to be used in the field where camouflage would be of any use. :-)
    [ ... ]

    Looking at the photos, and your complaints about the color rendition -- I have to ask whether you used flash. It looks as though you didn't, and I suspect that you have fluorescent lights where you have it set up, and those can work strangely with digital cameras. The bright lines provide enough information in the various colors to work with your eyes, but the sensor in the camera may be too specific in looking for precise wavelengths. Electronic flash -- especially if you can trigger some extra ones for illuminating from other angles, will probably improve the color rendition.
    Anyway -- have fun with your new machine. Shapers are truly nice things to just sit and watch, and with the right grind on the tool bits, can look almost as nice as a surface ground workpiece.
    Enjoy,         DoN.