Tool gloat: Unused Shaper

Hi!

Like a virgin ...

Some years ago, I was convinced here that I want a shaper. Looking from time to time at tool dealers for a used shaper made me giving up more and more. But then, about 4 weeks ago, I found a note in some web-forum where someone asked what they think about that shaper. I followed the link and found it was a nice little Gack HE 20 (a horizontal shaper with 200mm stroke). The dealer claimed, it "looks very little used". There were only 3 pictures with something looking like a shaper. It took me 10 minutes to convince myself, to phone the dealer and place a order.

And then it came. I unpacked it and it was NEW! Like a virgin. Unused and old. :-) She was born ... errr ... built 1965, stored away in an army depot and found it's way to me 40 years later. The prize tag? 490.- EUR (about 650 US$). For a _new_ shaper! Professionaly stored and protected, there were only two places with a slight surface rust. Some dings in the paint and paint chipping off at one place.

You're in the army now ... Yes, as it was from the army, it is painted green (sorry, no camouflage pattern).

Along with it came a nice vice, 8 tool bits (4 normal, 4 small "economic" together with their holder) and a reverse-clapper-box and all the necessary tools. Manuals in two copys, final inspection protocol and an extra pack of grin-amplifiers for me! :-)

The interesting thing about that reverse clapper box is: If you are working with scribing lines and have the reverse clapper mounted you let run the shaper in reverse. Thus you have a free look at the lines, the burr is on the backside and the chips won't land on your nose.

I have put some photos online if you want:

As I had not enough room in my shop, I _had_ to run it outside in the garden. Sunday? I don't care. I can let run a shaper where I want and when I want! Now it is in the cellar on its base I casted for here.

I donated one manual to the Deutsches Museum in Munich. They have a little collection of Gack-brochures and let me copy them.

Enjoy! Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

NICE, Real Nice, D*** Nice! I love the little shapers but had never seen a Gack. Congratulations on the find. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Very cool! Congrats.

Adam Smith Midland ON

Reply to
Adam Smith

Here's a page with other Gack shapers.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

Yes, I know that page and shaper! It is such a gem! Incredible. There is an accessory for my Gack that converts it to have the basic functionality of the K 150 (Hugh's model). But I doubt that I will ever get accessories. I'll try to make some of them by myself.

I'm in contact with Hugh and am translating him the brochure of his shaper.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

======================== Interesting variation on the basic shaper. Any rationale or reason for the lateral as opposed to the standard in/out action? Any operations that are especially easy compared to a conventional shaper? Does the literature/brochures indicate a particular class/type of work for the Gack?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

But it is a classic shaper. Or did I explain/describe something wrong on my site?

It is in/out. It only can shape in reverse e.g. a pulling cut. The lateral shaper is the Gack K 150 that someone else noted. I do not have this one (but would like to have).

It says "Feinhobler" (for my shaper) that would be precision shaper or tool room shaper. They have quite some working samples of punches that were shaped. I'll add pictures from the brochure later that shows some of the add-ons. Among them is a dividing head and a different shaper head that shapes a radius at the end of the stroke.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Very way cool!! That looks like a marvelous machine!! Well done Sir..well done indeed!

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Nice machine Nick.

Steve

Nick Müller wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

This would give the enduser a far more productive footprint, Id think. And likely less weight for the same stroke length.

Rather fascinating implimentation actually. Something of a hybrid between planer and shaper

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Nick; That is an absolutely beautiful shaper! If I did not already have my Sheldon 12", Id be jealous. You made a great find and purchase.

RE: reverse clapper box I suggest that you pllace this in a box and not use it. I have seen the whole heads of shapers ripped off of the ram from a grab while working in reverse. Shapers are very much stronger in push mode with all of the ram mass behind the clapper/tool. It is better to be safe than sorry. I'd hate for you to ruin the shaper by operating it in reverse mode. Jim

Reply to
James Riser

Brilliant Find, all comes to he who waits! The next step after the DRO is the stepper motor dividing head, then gear cutting :-)

Wishing you both a happy future

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Very nice find.

Ignoramus28437

According to Nick Müller :

[ ... ]

Congratulations!

It wasn't expected to be used in the field where camouflage would be of any use. :-)

[ ... ]

Looking at the photos, and your complaints about the color rendition -- I have to ask whether you used flash. It looks as though you didn't, and I suspect that you have fluorescent lights where you have it set up, and those can work strangely with digital cameras. The bright lines provide enough information in the various colors to work with your eyes, but the sensor in the camera may be too specific in looking for precise wavelengths. Electronic flash -- especially if you can trigger some extra ones for illuminating from other angles, will probably improve the color rendition.

Anyway -- have fun with your new machine. Shapers are truly nice things to just sit and watch, and with the right grind on the tool bits, can look almost as nice as a surface ground workpiece.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

There is even a plate on the motor stating that it is suited for use in tropical environment.

No. It was out in the sun. I tried it with flash and it drove me nuts. In my cellar, where I have flourescent light (cool white), it looks to be brown to my eyes. It is that color. I have learned in the army, that it is IR reflecting (or was it absorbing?). I think you have the same paint. We called it "NATO-olive".

I do it that way. Have a chair on the side of it and watch it shaping. Nice sounds of the clapper box, the ratchet and the tool hitting the workpiece. Already learning to watch the sound and hear what is going wrong. :-))))

Nick, happy

Reply to
Nick Müller

Stuff of dreams; My dreams - your reality! Congrats.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Great.

The one in the sun looked pretty much as I expected, but the shots in the cellar were a differnt matter.

Sure -- it would to *eyes*, but not to a camera sensor under fluorescent lights. And incandescent lights would be weak in the blue, which could also change the perceived color balance.

What model of camera is it? And what age? My first digital SLR, a conversion of a Nikon film camera (N90s) to digital by Kodak (the combination was called the NC2000e/c) needed a "Hot Mirror" filter to eliminate IR, or you would get strange colors from hot objects, and especially from flames and coals. The current Nikon D70 has a built-in IR filter over the sensor, so if you *want* to photograph in the IR, you have to take *very* long exposure times, or to disassemble the camera and replace the IR blocking filter with some glass of the same thickness -- or better IRTran. (If you don't replace the filter, it will shift your focal point somewhat, though autofocus should deal with that anyway. You would still need filters to exclude the visible light, of course. (There is a web page which contains directions for the conversion of the D70 and several other cameras.)

Our term was "Olive Drab" IIRC, normally just called "OD".

IR reflecting would keep the inside of a tank somewhat cooler. IR absorbing would increase the temperature in there. Typically, there is already too much heat in a tank, so IR reflecting would be the choice for comfort. Of course, *far* IR would simply be seeing the heat of the tank from the engines and such.

Interestingly enough, an unoccupied and powered-down tank becomes invisible by IR twice a day. Once as its cooling rate and that of the surrounding ground reach the same temperature at the end of the day, and once again in the morning when its heating and the heating of the ground cross.

If it is *running*, however, it becomes *very* visible in the IR.

I used to work on an army base, and there were always things there painted variations on that color, depending on their age. (This was before we had much need for paints which merged with desert sand. :-)

Good news.

I tend to sit down while it is at work too -- watching the curls fly downstream from the machine.

The trick for a tool grind to make a *really* smooth finish (but not very good for deep roughing cuts) is to grind so the cutting surface is at about a 45 degree angle, so it generates curls off to one side. The end needs to be a gentle rounded end. And of course this works well only with one direction of feed. If you want to feed the other direction, you need to grind the 45 degrees to the other side.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nick,

Sie Saugen!

(I sure hope the translation program got that right, I tried to translate "you suck" from English to German, but when I reversed the process it came back "they suck", and when I tried to translate "sie" into English it came back as "it")

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

_All_ were made out in the sun. There is no exception. The photo where it looks green was manipulated (look how super-green the background is).

An Olympus E-300. Last year.

It must be reflective to add the extrad red component to make it look brown. ACK.

Yes, I saw this. I have been playing around with the finishing tool (the ones that came with were just pre-ground) but did not yet try such an aggresive angle. I realized that it helps a lot.

I'm not so sure about the big radius (I have read about it), but I'll try anyhow.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Ooops!

Thanks for the warning! OK, the mass won't change in ververse, but the shaper head (in reverse) is only held by two screws and the dovetail of the head is also loaded "the wrong way". When I use it, I'll remember your warning and make only light cuts.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller