Tool gloat: Unused Shaper

I'm still waiting for a better lathe ... :-)

I'll add a DRO to the shaper. Did I hear sacrileg? Regarding gear cutting, I'm thinking about a mechanical solution.

:-)) Thanks! I'll give here a smack in your name. BTW: Who else is smacking his machines from time to time?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

The translation is right, but it isn't understood (that much) in German. "Du saugst", if it is understood, is just the translation of "you suck". "Sie" in contrast to "Du" is the polite form that doesn't make that much sense in conjunction with "suck". :-))

No, I didn't misunderstand your "you suck".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I have added some 25 scans showing accessories and details. They are from their brochures for the H 20 and the HE 20 models.

More fun ... Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I can't believe the condition that yours is in. The scraping of the ways looks beautiful.

My big cincinnati you can just barely tell that it WAS scraped.

Adam Smith Midland >

Reply to
Adam Smith

There wasn't a single scratch or wear on them. It only run once in the factory.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

It isn't just that, this looks like a classic crank shaper with a sliding block. The power stroke out is done with the sliding block positioned so it has the most leverage and the slowest velocity. The reverse stroke is done with the block positioned so the leverage is the least but the velocity is highest. If you have a tool grab on the reverse stroke, it might shuck some gear teeth at a minimum. If this uses a rack for back and forth movement, all that doesn't apply, but I've never seen one of those in so small a package. Lindsey Books used to have some small shaper manuals, I've got the one for the South Bend and a British one that's very good.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

As Nick noted, you reverse the motor direction to cut on the reverse stroke.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Wouldn't want to reverse the motor on my cincinatti: there is pressure lubrication if you run it in the correct direction, not if you run it in reverse. (Confused the hell out of me when I first started it up, then noticed it was running in the wrong direction, swapped two of the three phase leads, presto! oil pressure.)

Adam Smith Midland, ON

Reply to
Adam Smith

OK since you were so nice to explain the translation I will explain the reference.

In American English slang, the term "suck" generally is an derogatory term.

However one exception that is common, on Usenet DIY groups is when someone obtains a nice tool at a great price that the others would only drool over, then it is traditional to say "you suck".

In this context, it is an extremely high praise for your purchasing acumen, and a statement of jealousy one might feel to his best friend picking up the one pretty girl at the bar. It is a good thing.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I know that.

I understood that. Before. :-)