Shaper Tool Gloat Follow Up

As promised pictures of my $25.00 7" Ammco shaper have been posted.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

Grant Erwin

Errol:

That sounds like it is your only shaper? Did you out togather that great shaper CD before you got a shaper? Thanks again for sharing the CD

Jan Howell

Reply to
Jan Howell

When I started at Ellis Tech in 1987 we had three good sized shapers. I don't recall the makes but the were in the 24" range. Prior to that I actually ran shapers at a couple of different work places. Horizontal shapers at then C.E.M., now Spirol International in Danielson CT and before that vertical shapers when I was an apprentice at P&W Machine Tool in West Hartford CT.

One of the jobs I remember on the vertical shapers was putting 1" wide splines in BIG gears. When you feed too deep doing that the tool snaps off and a 1" cube of tool steel goes rocketing across the shop it is quite a thrill. At least for the guys in the area where it landed!

Yes this is my only shaper. For the now anyway. I am, after all, a person who owns about 30 Machinery's Handbooks so another shaper would not be unthinkable

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

Errol,

I'm no shaper expert, but from your picture, that's very similar to an Atalas 7B, not exact but damn close.

I know there is a guy on e-bay who sells repro parts / exploded diagram manuals for the Atlas and makes a few parts for them too, like belt covers and feed nut's. The manual *might* be of use to you...

Why do I know this? I had an Atlas 7B for a few years and bought the Manual from him.

I still have a picture of my old 7B, if you'd like I can send e-mail it to you.

Dave

Reply to
Dave August