ROB ROY Lubricator

The lubricator for ROB ROY is described in the book, but I can't find any drawings for it. I have the set of six drawings but no lubricator, also the handpump and many of the boiler fittings. Does anyone know where I can obtain drawings for these items ?

Dave P

Reply to
davejpc

Which book are you using?

In mine (Rob Roy/William) it has several drawings of the lubricator o p57. The boiler fitting seem tobe weel covered too.

14.95 Argus books Ltd ISBN 0 85242 929

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

It has a description on page 57, but no drawing on the lubricator itself, only drawing of the box it is mounted in. I can't work out how to make it from only the description

The book I have does not have an ISBN no anywhere and it is by Model and Allied pubs. It is only for Rob Roy as well not William. I think I may look to get that book.

Dave P

Reply to
davejpc

Just to be sure we're talking about a different set of drawings; my p5

has five drawings, the whole set rotated 90deg anticlockwise. Viewe this way, top left is a cross-section through the lubricator showin all the working parts. Next is a small cross-section of the 'hollow piston. Then an outside view of the lever, pawls and ratchet wheel Next an end view. Last, on a new line a top view with the lid removed.

Hope that helps

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

The book I have is only Rob Roy and is by published by MAP, it doesnt have what you are mentioning, just a coincedence the Lubricator description is on the same page. Souns like I need to get the Rob ROy and William book the same as you have. Thanks for the help

Dave P

Reply to
davejpc

Hi Dave Many Years ago I built a Rob Roy and had the same problem as you. I actually found what I believe to be the Rob Roy Lubricator on P142 of"Model Steam Locomotive Construction" by Martin Evans. This also has designs for crosshead feed pumps.

Colin A.

Reply to
Colin Ager

Was this serialised in ME? If so i can look and scan the articles in if you want

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In message , davejpc writes

Rob Roy & William, 2 Simple 3.5" Gauge Locomotives Martin Evans ISBN 0852429290

Reply to
Mike H

Unfortunately this book is out of print and second hand copies sell for upwards of £50. However, drawings for these parts were issued separately to the locomotive drawings. LO 34 covers the lubricator and LO 36 covers the handpump. They are available from many of our suppliers but I know that Blackgates have them.

I beleive that many people replace the ratchet on the lubricator with a sort of unidirectional roller race but I don't have any details.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

For what it's worth, I'm currently half way through the construction of a three-and-a-half inch gauge 'Lion' - or 'Titfield Thunderbolt' if you prefer the alternative name. I took one look at the lubricator drawing and decided that life was too short to spend it in watchmaking the ratchets and pawls and suchlike as designed by LBSC. I subsequently bought a lubricator from

for about £27 and I think my money was well spent.

It uses the unidirectional roller race clutch which Russell describes and operates a small piston which pumps an (adjustable) quantity of oil via a one-way ball valve. I believe they also sell the components for self-assembly if you prefer. I found them extremely helpful and patient when I sought advice on repackaging the components into a small tank to suit my own particular requirements.

I have no connection with

other than as a satisfied customer etc etc .

Best Regards

--

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) ..."there *must* be an easier way!"

Reply to
Chris Edwards

Bad form, I know, to reply to one's own post but it has been pointed out to me that the book is available much cheaper at

Russell

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt