LEUP w/indoor storage-I'm going in!

Sorry in advance for the long post.
I'm going to try for a LEUP with an indoor storage waiver. I live in a typical NJ neighborhood with less than ½ acre of land. I can't have
an outdoor storage magazine since I don't have enough property to meet the 75ft minimum in the table of distances in the Orange Book.
So I'm going to make an appointment to see the local fire official here in Plainsboro NJ and see if he will permit me to store an explosives magazine in my attached garage. As luck would have it, the house is pretty new, and the building codes around here are very tough. The sheet rock in the garage is 5/8" thick. So my garage walls have a one-hour fire resistance rating.
The door between the garage and the house appears to be fire rated as well. It is metal and the part the faces the garage appears to be extra thick (you can see this when looking at the side of the door). The builder also installed UL-rated, spring-loaded hinges that say "door closer body". Unfortunately, the door hinges do not close the door (I think the springs are too weak). I could install a door closer to remedy this. These things appear to address most of the issues with storage of a magazine in an attached garage.
As far as I can see, I should be OK with a high quality Type-2 or Type-4 explosives magazine. I really cannot see any reason why an indoor magazine would pose a problem.
I've tried to read everything I could to prepare for the meeting. I looked up the various codes as best I could. For those who may attempt the same thing, here is what I found so far:
I went to the local library and began looking up codes as best I could. I read the Plainsboro code, which essentially adopts the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code. I did not see anything in either of these codes that cover the storage of explosives. In fact, based on some confusing language in the Plainsboro code, it is not entirely clear to me that either of these codes apply to "owner-occupied one and two-family dwellings." But like I said, these codes did not say anything about explosives storage. I also checked my housing covenants and they don't say anything about explosives storage.
I also did a text search for explosives in the NJ Administrative Code. I did find some text relating to explosives at 12:190-5.1 et seq. This section is entitled "Subchapter 5 - Storage of Explosives." Perhaps Plainsboro follows this part of the NJ Administrative Code, perhaps not.
In any event, the only issue I see here is that the NJ Administrative Code defines a metal Type-4 magazine as having 16-gauge metal, lined with a nonsparking material. Every Type-4 magazine that I have seen uses 18-gauge metal … a much thinner gauge. So, if Plainsboro follows the NJ Administrative Code, I might need a Type-2 magazine.
So the local Fire official is the next step. Wish me luck!
Dan
Add pictures here
βœ–
A few thoughts -
You were unclear as to weather yours is a single or two family dwelling. If it is a teo family dwelling and you want to keep it in your attached garage, the ATF almost certainly won't give you a storage permit. If it is ann attached garage & you live in a single family dwelling, you can probably get approved with a waiver.
I can't imagine NJ not allowing the commercial magazines we normally use. I don't think I'd mention it but if they do, I'd just say that it is an ATF approved Type 2 or 4 magazine for low explosives and your stuff isn't explosive anyway. Here's the place that advertises in Rockets Magazine http://www.usexplosive.com/?Clickp7 looks like that shold have anything you need.
Phil
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:49:25 -0400, Dan <NJ> wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
It's a single family home. I've got my fingers crossed.
Dan
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:57:06 -0400, Phil Stein

Add pictures here
βœ–
You've probably got 'bomber' hinges. Look on the top and see if there aren't several holes in them, and a pin in one. If so, get a small finish nail which fits in the hole. Now be smart about it, figure out how strong the spring is before you pull the pin. The idea is to remove the pin, pull against the tension a couple spots, replace the pin, repeat. Do this until you get the springs taut enough to close the door. Remember don't grab it all with one hinge, all three will do the work.
If that works you've saved the cost of a door closer.
Chuck
Add pictures here
βœ–
Cuchk, that was a great suggestion. You were exactly right.
The builder did not install any pins - hence no spring tension. I found some round rod and made some pins. I turned the insert part (it has an allen key opening) until I got some spring tension. Then I stuck some pins in ... and voila now the door closes automatically.
Thanks, Dan
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:49:10 GMT, Chuck Rudy

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dan wrote:

I'll send you the bill........it will cost you 5 rock_it exposing posts......and you know where. ;-)
Chuck
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dan wrote:

The bill is in the mail. ;-)
Chuck
Add pictures here
βœ–
Quite a few people (mtself included) have gotten their LEUPs with single family homes with attached garages. Good luck. Phil
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:16:34 -0400, Dan <NJ> wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Dan" <NJ> wrote in message

Good luck Dan. In NJ you need a permit for your dog to fart. The town council will most likely ask you to get a variance. Your neighbors will need to sign. Go door to door and tell them you need permission to store explosives next to them. Wear a turban and bow a lot. Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dont wait too long.
Its 4 months, 2 weeks since application was filed. Succesful ATF inspection in June. Still waiting....
Dan wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Did you need a seperate magazine for ignitors ? I would sure hate to buy two magazines.
Thanks, Dan

Add pictures here
βœ–
Up here in NY you the local ATF says a separate magazine will be needed to store ignitors. If you do not plan to store ignitors, or use non-pyro ignition (resistors) or obtain your igniters on site you will only need 1 magazine.
Dan wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Dan" <NJ> wrote in message

The federal variance conditions for storage in an attached garage state that storage of igniters is in a separate magazine. I took that to mean the e-matches as well. I have two magazines for storage and I separate the igniters from the rest of the reloads as I get them.
This is a requirement of the variance for attached garage storage. You can still transport your material or store it while at the launch site in one magazine.
Yes, it sucks.
--
Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electric Flyers
Thomas Koszuta wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
This is a requirement for ATF to grant the variance to allow storage in an attached garage, only.
Tom K.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Read the ATF regulations carefully and you will see that they require separate storage of _detonators_ but no mention of igniters.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html
This separate storage thing is something pulled from out of thin air by the ATF. If you look at their published ruling on attached garage variances, it makes no mention of this requirement.
http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/revrule/rules/2002-3.htm
This ruling does require that the storage be in compliance with local law. My local fire code says that storage and use of rocket motors will comply with NFPA 1122, 1125, and 1127. NFPA 1127 has a provision stating that reload kits will not be opened until you are ready to use them. (4.5.7) So opening the package to remove the igniter would put me in non-compliance with the local code.
I am not sure why the ATF has a problem with this. Most display fireworks are now shipped from the factory with an e-match installed in the lift charge. So there are many tons of explosives currently stored in the US that have an "igniter" not only in the same magazine but in close contact with the explosive. If this were a serious problem, fireworks magazines would be blowing up on a very regular basis. They aren't.
David Erbas-White wrote:

--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:14:28 -0400, Dan <NJ> wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Phil Stein wrote:

Wait a minute, I thought the purpose of the box was to prevent _theft_.

--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /
βœ–

Just an idea for something that might make the ATF happy without having to buy two magazines. SOme people already have bought two. If you are trying to apply logic, you would use a flammables cabinet instead of a magazine.
Phil
Add pictures here
βœ–
OK, here is a quick update. I'm still not sure whether I can get local approval.
I did have a telephone discussion with the local fire official. I really just wanted to make an appointment to come and see him in person. But he naturally wanted to know why I called. We discussed the ATF permit process. I explained that I needed certify to the ATF that my storage method complies with state and local laws. The fire official was very nice about the request.
He was not familiar with high power rocket engines. He said that he needed to do some research on the topic before he could tell me anything. He confirmed that there are no local laws covering storage of this kind of stuff. He also confirmed that he wanted to look at some provisions of the NFPA. I mentioned that NFPA 1127 covered this subject matter. I don't think he wanted any additional information from me, so I did not push. He did say he would get back to me in the next day or so.
So … I still have my fingers crossed.
Dan
Add pictures here
βœ–