Grease for Bridgeport head?

I'm reassembling the head on my Series 1 BP CNC (dead!), & want to be able to put the grease in it tomorrow. I rang the local oil people, spoke to one of their tech guys expecting that he could tell me straight away what their equivalent was so that I could collect some tomorrow, but he hasn't rung back yet..... The proper stuff is apparently Sun Oil EP-741 'grease' - though it might not be technically a grease? Any suggestions for another maker's equivalent? As the old gears had completely worn out, I want to put somewhere near the right stuff in so the same doesn't happen again too soon.

Furter down the same head, the QC30 spindle nut is bu**ered, or at least its innards are. It looks like the sort of thing which could cost anything from 20 quid to 200 to buy new. If the former, I'll happily just buy a new one. Anywhere near the latter, I'll be scratching round for a cheapy/secondhand replacement. Any pointers will be welcome (I'll ask BP tomorrow for the awful truth )

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

In message , timleech writes

If this is for spindle bearings get the best stuff you can afford.

This may amuse you. I am rebuilding a Hardinge lathe spindle. The bearings for this were approx £250 for a matched pair. The CORRECT spec grease cost... Wait for it! £60 for 2 50ml tubes. BUT this is the best stuff going. ( Kluber NBU 15 ) I only get one shot at lubing and fitting these bearings so only the best will do.

I bought more grease than I need for this machine, but I also have a queue of machines waiting for rebuilds LOL

As the original bearings lasted nearly 40 years I'd expect these will do much the same (I hope)

The cheapest quote I got from Hardinge experts to do the job was £500 quid. 400 for bearings (I got 70% discount on my RHP bearings) and 100 labour. So they are making the money on the bearings mainly. They wouldnt do the job if i free issued the bearings!!

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I have the BP technical help line as 0345 660 334 or 08457 660 334

hope this helps.

Oil equivalents must be on the net .... Somewhere :-(....

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

No, it's for the back gears. (which are the same as on the 2J manual head). The spindle bearings are oiled via a Bijur lubricator.

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

On a "price of oil" theme I was charged £63 for one gallon of oil at my last service..... Thankfully it's a company car!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I've been advised that Rocol Tufgear Universal is an acceptable alternative, available from RS at £5.70 per 300g cartridge (2 required)

Re the QC30 spindle nut, BP have them at about 85 quid plus their mandatory £11.50 carriage + VAT :-( Luckily Braithwaites have promised to find me a good used one for less than half that (Big sigh of relief just before Christmas )

Thanks for help

Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech