Best grease to use for a chuck rebiuld?

I got the chuck from my lathe all apart, needs a good cleaning . I have it off the make put on the 5C closer. Whats the best grease to use? From the kitigawa site it seems they
recommend the black Moly stuff. Any brand in particular?
Randy Remove 333 to reply via email
it off the make put on the

seems they recommend the

Kluber.
If you can afford it.

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:30:42 -0800, "Brother Lightfoot"

Where would one buy Kluber? Valvoline is what I could get. That or no name store brand.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

Randy, Kluber is very expensive grease, usually used for spindle bearings. I use a waterproof grease that I buy at my local bearing house.
The black moly grease is cool, but It makes keeping your coolant clean more of a job than it should be.
Kluber link if you choose to go that way:
http://www.kluberna.com /
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

have
My point exactly.
Although, besides being messy and generally lacking tackines, in my experience moly greases usually tend to leach out and dissolve into the cutting fluid rather quickly and so you might want to consider using cmd or the heavy viscosity jokisch paste product instead
http://www.cmdlube.com /
http://www.intercononline.com/jokisch/econo897.htm
Otherwise, most any auto parts store will routinely keep in stock small tubes of "moly engine assembly lube" which is quite reasonably priced.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:59:59 -0800, "Brother Lightfoot"

The jaws have zerks on them to re-lube. So I was looking for a cartridge I could use in a grease gun. If the Valvoline does not work out I'll look into one of the above.
There's not alot of space exposed to wash out the grease, chuck seems to be fairly well sealed up. I'll find out.
Randy Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

A moly grease is good if there is no moisture otherwise it will promote electrolysis. A Moly grease is not recommended where water or coolant is present. A good water resistant grease is all that is needed. In any event it is wise to periodically disassemble and clean the chuck to clean out anything that has packed up inside of it.
John

Why does Kitagawa recommend it?
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

http://www.usshoptools.com / Give them a call, they have the Kitagawa recommended grease tubes in stock, they fit the small "pistol grip" type of grease gun.
"D"
Randy wrote:

The engineers don't know any better :)
YOu can read about not using a metal based grease when water is present in the grease product literature. Water and the sulfides in the grease make an acid and with dissimilar metals create a battery. The electric current produced will over time etch the metal. You can see the effects on the metal. It will look like little black lines or blacked surface on the contact areas. The same thing happens when your coolant is acidic and your machine slides stand in place for a couple of weeks. This process will even attack stainless steel where there is a lack of oxygen. The oxygen would normally passivate the stainless and protect it from further corrosion.
I use a good waterproof grade of grease and mever had a problem. I repair and overhaul chucks for several companys and the only problem is metal chips getting into and packing up inside the chuck body. this will happen on any chuck and that is why they should be dis assembled and cleaned periodicly.
John
snipped-for-privacy@enter.net wrote:

One of our custom chuck suppliers recommends coupling grease. Nasty sticky stuff, comes in cartridges for your grease gun.
Wes