Leaving part in chuck overnite. OK?

Is ok on a CNC lathe to leave a part chucked over hight? I talking a

8" dia x 10" long 1018 steel chunk. about 140 lbs worth. I fiqured out how to get it in and indicated straight, but I'm not ready to run it yet. Should be tomorrow morning if I get brave enough to push the green button after I load the program.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Leave the tailstock in position, should be no prob.

Reply to
"D"

Thanks for the reply, I had to take the peice out to access the tool probe to set up tools. So I'm putting it back in this morning. Will be helpful in the furture.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

like any mechanical question....it depends on many factors. if it is a purely mechanical chuck, no problem. Hydraulic or air actuated it depends on the seals and valves to maintain chucking pressure. See if you can find a chuck salesman with a pressure gauge to check the overnight "leak down".

Reply to
maaronl

P.S. If you have never serviced your power chuck you would be shocked to see the difference in chucking force of a clean and well lubricated chuck vs. a dirty chuck that is not lubricated properly.

Reply to
maaronl

I did completely disassemble and clean the chuck after I bought the lathe. I am using standard moly grease on it and not the fancy stuff.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333