Jacobs chuck

Someone at rec.crafts.woodturning suggested I post my query here. Below is a copy of what I posted there.
I'd been looking for a drill chuck for my lathe, so when I found a nice one at
an estate sale last week I bought it.Unfortunately,ithadnochuckkeyand I've been unable to find one.
The engraving on the chuck says:
NO 14 S JACOBS SPIRAL GEAR CHUCK PAT FEB 17 '25
I've contacted Jacobs and they don't have parts for anything over 25 years old.
If anyone has a key to fit this chuck that they don't need, please let me know.Thekeyshaftis5/32"andasthechucklabelstates,theteethare curved.
I've tried using a key with straight teeth and it just doesn't work.
-- It's turtles, all the way down
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Everyday time I have needed a chuck key Sears or Ace has had it. If this fails let me know. Kents Tools in Tucson will have it.
Bob AZ
Bob AZ wrote:

Every chuck I've found has straight teeth. If the local Jacobs distributor (Grainger) doesn't have it and Jacobs says none are available, I doubt Kent Tools will have one. If you find a key with curved teeth at Kent Tools please let me know - I'd be delighted to be proven wrong :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

The McMaster Carr catalog has a table of chucks and the keys to fit them. There are 60 Jacobs chucks listed but not a 14S. Doesn't look good.
Sorry, Bob
Larry Blanchard wrote: ...

I don't understand why, but no one has suggested yet that you make a key yourself. You'll need to get a CNC mill, a heat treat oven, maybe a surface grinder, new shop to put them in, etc.
(If you post a closeup picture on http://www.metalworking.com and post a link to it, maybe you'll get a volunteer to make one. For example, you take a digital photo, crop to relevant part, rename it Jacobs-14S-chuck.jpg, attach it to email to snipped-for-privacy@metalworking.com, wait for it to appear at
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Jacobs-14S-chuck.jpg , then cut and paste that URL into a post to this thread. See http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html for further directions on how to upload.) -jiw
James Waldby wrote:

All
Went to Kents today. He looked through all his many Jacobs catalogs. No curved tooth ones. If you think about the advantage of a curved tooth gear would be negated when the gear was reversed. So I looked t all the 200+ used and new chuck keys and all were straight. And for the original poster please post some pictures. There is a Jacobs dealer here in town and I will stop there Monday if I remember.
Take care Bob AZ

Hi Bob,
If you want to take a peek, I think this is the Patent info for that chuck:
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat1526329.pdf
I just gave it a cursory glance so far, to see if it sounded like the proper patented device or not and it did. It looks like an interesting read for me later on :)
Pat number 1526329
I think the following link may work right at the Patent office site if you want to look at it there. You need to have the tiff file reader or some other method to view tiff files then:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&lP&s1 26329.PN.&OS=PN/1526329&RS=PN/1526329
Good luck!
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Hi Bob,
I blew the patent number by one digit on my first try to post this... I canceled the post almost immediately, but that doesn't always work. Here is the correct patent info in case the other posting got through.
If you want to take a peek, I think this is the Patent info for that chuck:
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat1526328.pdf
I just gave it a cursory glance so far, to see if it sounded like the proper patented device or not and it did. It looks like an interesting read for me later on :)
Pat number 01526328
I think the following link may work right at the Patent office site if you want to look at it there. You need to have the tiff file reader or some other method to view tiff files then:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&lP&s1 26328.PN.&OS=PN/1526328&RS=PN/1526328
Good luck!
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

The date is right and it sure looks like the same chuck. Thanks.
FYI, the diameter of the knurled part is just under 2.4" and the smaller diameter is 1.75"
--
It's turtles, all the way down