Jacobs chuck

Someone at rec.crafts.woodturning suggested I post my query here. Belo= w is a copy of what I posted there.

I'd been look NO 14 S JACOBS SPIRAL GEAR CHUCK PAT FEB 17 '25

I've contacted Jacobs and they don't have parts for anything over 25 ye= ars old.

If anyone has a key to fit this chuck that they don't need, please let = me know.=A0=A0The=A0key=A0shaft=A0is=A05/32"=A0and=A0as=A0the=A0chuck=A0la= bel=A0states,=A0the=A0teeth=A0are curved.

I've tried using a key with straight teeth and it just doesn't work.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Everyday time I have needed a chuck key Sears or Ace has had it. If this fails let me know. Kents Tools in Tucson will have it.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Every chuck I've found has straight teeth. If the local Jacobs distributor (Grainger) doesn't have it and Jacobs says none are available, I doubt Kent Tools will have one. If you find a key with curved teeth at Kent Tools please let me know - I'd be delighted to be proven wrong :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The McMaster Carr catalog has a table of chucks and the keys to fit them. There are 60 Jacobs chucks listed but not a 14S. Doesn't look good.

Sorry, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Larry Blanchard wrote: ...

I don't understand why, but no one has suggested yet that you make a key yourself. You'll need to get a CNC mill, a heat treat oven, maybe a surface grinder, new shop to put them in, etc.

(If you post a closeup picture on

and post a link to it, maybe you'll get a volunteer to make one. For example, you take a digital photo, crop to relevant part, rename it Jacobs-14S-chuck.jpg, attach it to email to snipped-for-privacy@metalworking.com, wait for it to appear at
cut and paste that URL into a post to this thread. See
for further directions on how to upload.)

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

All

Went to Kents today. He looked through all his many Jacobs catalogs. No curved tooth ones. If you think about the advantage of a curved tooth gear would be negated when the gear was reversed. So I looked t all the 200+ used and new chuck keys and all were straight. And for the original poster please post some pictures. There is a Jacobs dealer here in town and I will stop there Monday if I remember.

Take care Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Hi Bob,

If you want to take a peek, I think this is the Patent info for that chuck:

I just gave it a cursory glance so far, to see if it sounded like the proper patented device or not and it did. It looks like an interesting read for me later on :)

Pat number 1526329

I think the following link may work right at the Patent office site if you want to look at it there. You need to have the tiff file reader or some other method to view tiff files then:

Good luck!

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Bob,

I blew the patent number by one digit on my first try to post this... I canceled the post almost immediately, but that doesn't always work. Here is the correct patent info in case the other posting got through.

If you want to take a peek, I think this is the Patent info for that chuck:

I just gave it a cursory glance so far, to see if it sounded like the proper patented device or not and it did. It looks like an interesting read for me later on :)

Pat number 01526328

I think the following link may work right at the Patent office site if you want to look at it there. You need to have the tiff file reader or some other method to view tiff files then:

Good luck!

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The date is right and it sure looks like the same chuck. Thanks.

FYI, the diameter of the knurled part is just under 2.4" and the smaller diameter is 1.75"

Reply to
Larry Blanchard