Lathe chuck pressure question.

Am I correct that if you decrease the holding pressure on the chuck it will stay at the higher pressure until you unclamp and reclamp the chuck?

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Hi unclamp and reclamping is not required, at my machine it works as soon as I change the pressure tanvon malik

m my CNC related blog

Reply to
tanvon

This really isn't coherent so I'm taking a guess. Hydraulic chuck, you back off pressure, the pressure should come off. Some lathes have two pressure chucking, you clamp on hard to rough like a mad man and then lighten up on the pressure to do the finish cut and avoid distorted bores that are tri lobed or other distortions.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

off pressure,

cut and avoid

Let me see if I can clarify. Yes, hydraulic chuck. I was thinking due to the check valve in the system that holds the chuck closed in the event of a power failure, you would need to release and reclamp to have a new setting take effect if you decreasedthe pressure with the chuck in the clamped position.

My lathe has only one setting, manually made by turning a pressure adjusting knob. M codes to open/close only.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333