I'm leaving!

Well actually I will be after Sunday evening. The son's moving out and
the DSL will be shut down Monday morning. It's back to dial-up for me
and a new server. I will re-appear eventually with a new address. Try
not to talk about anything interesting whilst I'm off. :Þ
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
Hey Bill, I don't think you will miss anything interesting here over the next few days. I am sorry that you are going back to dial up. I could not imagine having to go that route but I am sure someday it will have to happen.
Cheers, Max Bryant
Reply to
Max Bryant
I use dial-up. The only problem I have is the length of time it takes to download "fixes" for Windows. Other than that, I can't see the advantage of broadband, considering the price. Jerry 47
Reply to
jerry 47
dial up here too...g/f had cable,it was out more often then on,wasn't worth the price...
Reply to
Eyeball2002308
if you're a neurotically obsessed music or vid freak, hispeed is life... if not, it is overpriced today....but not for long.
Seeya then...
Y'know, to avoid having to *deal* with "oh, new server, new ISP," you can always look into free (text) servers like news.individual.net - which I've been using for a while (after one of.. .believe it was Al's posts, formerly news.cis.dfn.de....)
Makes setting things back up *very* easy. :)
Reply to
EGMcCann
Strictly dial-up, bit I'm not in to downloading anything but text and pdfs.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
sure, appropriate technology.
I tried DSL. The modem wouldn't work. Quest said modem was not for a network (I have a very small network, my wifes computer and mine tied together to share printers). My ISP said it should work anyway with my Linksys hub. Whoever, the ISP technical guy couldn't help me get it working, and the Quest guys wouldn't help- they didn't want it hooked to network. So I am back to dial-up.
jerry 47 wrote:
Reply to
Don Stauffer
I set up a broadband router with 7 lan in minutes, couldnt set up a adsl lan at all........
when i have to call a engineer they are not suposed to touch lans etc but the actual service guys dont really care, they seem to rspect i actually know what im on about and not the 99.9% of users
Reply to
JULIAN HALES
Most of the posts stay live for about a week. Assuming you get hooked up inside of that time and get all the past posts read, you won't miss a thing. Of course Murphy's Law commands that you'll miss something really fun... 8^)
Cheers, The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
Wow, my son moved out, and he is the one who lost internet service. But only for a couple of days :)
Azzz1588
Bill won't miss anything. Haven't you figured out that everything here is recycled on a rotating basis. "Let's split this group" is currently on a 18 month cycle, used to be on a 6 week schedule. It is about time for Az to show up again. Future is on a two week cycle. Combat models is now down to about a two month cycle. 1/72nd scale C-5A with retractable landing gear is on a two year cycle. Dan's Monkey is out to about a twelve month cycle.
Rufus is on a motorcycle, sorry couldn't help it :-)
oxmoron1 MFE
Reply to
OXMORON1
Dial up gets charged by the second, ADSL/cable are flat rate, and not that expensive. Good enough reason for me. Of course, things might be different where you live.
Rob
Reply to
Rob van Riel
me too-motorcycle and laundry cycle.
Good to see everybody is going 'round still.
I'm baaaack!
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
what did you bring me? gimmie, gimmie, gimmie!
Bill B. appeared out of the ether and flatly declared:
Took you long enough!!!
Rick MFE
Reply to
OXMORON1
My son was doing it. :) I don't even have the address I wanted.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller