Small building for download

Free download of a small utility building in 1/87 scale. This is the first in my Urban Series of buildings in the Models from
the Mist "Structures for Railroads" collection. Building measures approx 6.5 x 5.5 x5cm high.
Unrar the archive Password for the pdf file is colklink Requires Acrobat Reader
Webpage Link: http://www.dc3d.co.nz/mist/urban.htm
DC3D Cardmodeller spake thus:

Password? unrar? Sorry, you lost me there; think I'll pass. (If it was a simple unpassword-protected PDF I'd take a look.)
--
To the arrogant putzes at NBC:

Do we call the country Italia? Is its capital Roma?
I'd steer clear of this download unless you're happy to be bombarded with WinFixer.

Doug Cowan wrote:

To get rid of Winfixer and other such crap, Remove it via the Control Panel, find its folder, and delete everything that remains in it (you may have to use "attrib -r -h" from the command line first). Then immediately apply a registry cleaner such a Registry Mechanic (which I find is worth the money, about $20-30.) Reboot.
That usually fixes it. If it doesn't, run an anti-spyware program, or two. Then do the registry clean. When removing malware, always run the registry cleaner before rebooting. Otherwise, leftover keys may reinstall and restart the program.
Face up to the dangers, and protect your machine properly. Do not rely on Windows' security features. They are pathetic. Norton is well known but useless if you don't keep it up to date. After the first year, you must pay for updates: do so, it's worth the money. Set it to run on boot, and to automatically update itself. I don't use Norton, but if you already have it, it's a good investment to keep it up to date. I use ZoneAlarm Pro (about $30) and AVG Pro (about $20), set to start on boot, and to scan incoming stuff for spyware etc.
But one anti-malware program is not enough. I use Counterspy (about $20-30, and worth it.) Spybot is free, but unlike most freeware, it works very, very well. If you use it, send the author a donation. I run each of these once a week. Spybot found a villain two weeks ago - the first I've had on this machine since last summer. It pays to be paranoid!
HTH
Wolf Kirchmeir spake thus:

[...]
Sounds to me like all the more reason to avoid this guy's web site altogether.
What's wrong with plain ordinary files (plain text, pictures or *maybe* PDFs if absolutely necessary) on a site open to all without having to resort to arcane uncompression methods and such? Plus no malware, adware, popups, etc.
--
To the arrogant putzes at NBC:

Do we call the country Italia? Is its capital Roma?
Doug Cowan wrote: I'd steer clear of this download unless you're happy to be bombarded with WinFixer.
Rather harsh considering that there is no proof one way or the other that my website caused the problem directly.
As reported in another post the download is no longer connected to downloadcounter.com which appears to have had a popup that could have caused the problem.
If anybody has any further problems regarding this download or my website, please feel free to contact me directly.

Maybe not, but since you obviously posted the link without being sure of it's actions, I'd say it's not to harsh at all.

JP wrote:

Erm. Wake up! There is absolutely no proof that the link to the file caused the problem reported above. I had said, if you read the post you quoted correctly: "> As reported in another post the download is no longer connected to

Considering that I have used the counter from Downloadcounter.com for other downloads from my website for a number of years with no reported problems, I only suggested it COULD be the cause of the problem, NOT -was- the cause of the problem.
Today I have had several people test download the file with no problems whatsoever with the download or the file itself.
Also up to date over 300 people have downloaded the card model with no problems reported. Over 3600 people have downloaded other files from my website via downloadcounter.com WITHOUT any problems.
The only issues I have personally encountered with downloadcounter.com is that the site is often offline. For that reason I am no longer using that service with the card models.
I stand by my assertion that the comments above are harsh, and were unwarranted considering there is absolutely no proof whatsoever, that the problem originated from my site.
It appears to me that some people jump to conclusions before getting their facts straight. If you don't want to download the file don't. If you don't want to visit my site, you are under no obligation to do so. To all others who do, welcome and I hope you enjoy your visit.

And I stand by assertion; tried downloading from the site, and there was a problem. It's a fact, like it or not, so if anyone needs to wake up, it'd be you. That was the point of the original reply; there was a problem with the download.
And posting such on a ng message thread is completely appropriate vs emailing you; it alerts readers and possibly you asap. Not the case with a private email, especially if you're away.
For someone who claims to have such experience with websites/downloads on said site, etc. you should have known how to handle such a situation better than insulting someone who informed you about a problem......who didn't insult *you* in doing so btw.
Excuse me! I only responded to the assertion, if you read the above posts correctly, that my site had a problem with WinFixer. And that the person could have contacted me personally without having to accuse me of something that was not true. I did not insult anyone. I merely stated a fact. People were accusing me of having a download that had another program attached, which it did not.
As for the problem you say you had with the download.. How come you didn't try contacting me????? And what was the problem you had???? So how could I fix something I knew nothing about??? Huh? Huh?
BTW I was not informed about any problem by anybody, rather the person above accused the download as containing a problem, which it didn't. Then another, who had complained about my method of posting the file got on the bandwagon and told everyone to avoid my site. Did I insult them? No! I merely stated that I was unaware of any problem with the download or my site, that no problems had been reported to me. Instead I get people making accusations, complaining about my method of download and all because you people (the few who posted here complaining) either *think* you had a problem on you computer because you *thought* it easier to blame someone for it, or cannot cope with the method I use for my file distribution.Which by the way has been no problem for over 300 people who have downloaded the file. It appears to me that some people expect to get something for nothing, yet complain on how it is packaged. What a nice friendly bunch you are. NOT!
The fact remains. The people who have complained here about the download could have contacted me personally rather than make wild accusations with scare tactics. There are ways of dealing with such problems to avoid public discussions such as this. Oh, this would have been conducted through email but I couldn't contact them as their email addresses here are not legitimate.

1. I never said I had a problem with the download. Try cranking down the temper a notch, and reading a post. Comprehension is a nice trait to have.
2. I already addressed the potential problems (and it's an unrealistic request for that matter, especially on usenet) of expecting someone to contact you, or any other web owner.

Instead
It's usenet, not a moderated forum. Judging by your reactions, I'd say you're new to web hosting, usenet, etc; if you blow a gasket everytime someone mentions something negative (in your mind) about your site, you won't last long.

And the fact remains, as I've said more than once, that when there's a problem, contacting by email is a ridiculously niave expectation. Btw, not using a real email addy is sop for usenet.
On 12 Mar 2006 12:01:54 -0800, "DC3D Cardmodeller"
    This is not the papermodels group, that is for sure.     Over the years I have noted a lot (not all but still far too many) model railroaders take themselves too seriously and get too crabby. Maybe because many are older they tend to follow the old=grouch stereotype but, suffice to say, model railroading is one of the less welcoming hobbies that I have encountered over the years. While I have met some great friendly people in the hobby I have met an awful lot of crabs. more than in a lot of hobbies. Sad.
                                cat

Cat , I agree with you. I've been in model railroading for most of my life , 63 now. I've also been into RC airplanes , cars, boats , bass fishing and on . Like you , I have run into many nice people , but there are more weird , ego filled , and unfriendly in this hobby by far than any other I have been involved in. Seen some really nice work also , but you know where most all the nice work comes from ? Not the rivet counters , those who are so eager to dispute anything one says as if they know it all , but from the nice quite guy in the corner who hardly says a word and is friendly to all. These guys never have an ego problem that I have seen and are usually the real experts . Another thing , I have participated in Model Railroad shows for quite a few years and talk about discouraging others who may get into the hobby....some interested person all excited about the trains walks up and wants to know "how much does it cost to get into something like this " ....before I can get to the person and tell them they can buy a starter train set for less than a hundred , a sheet of plywood and scenery stuff for another fifty or so , one of the local 'experts'... spouting 50 cent words and railroad terms that I don't understand picks up a loco that looks most like most any plastic loco to the guy whos interested , and proceeds to tell him about this brass locomotive that he paid 1500.00 for. He also tells the guy about those 5 or 6 brass passenger cars that cost a couple hundred each , and the countless thousands he has in his other stuff. Then he proceeds to tell him all about handlaying the track and driving all those thousands of spikes and so on ..and the complicated wiring and on and on.
The poor guy and his wife move on.
Ken Day

Interesting, I just went to the site, curiosity now, downloaded, about fifteen minutes on a dial up connection. (Which is why I don't normally go after .pdf files.) Download window said "Powerzip archive" for file type, no problem. unrared, gave adope the password when it asked, printed just fine. I'd say you have a problem, but ignorance can be cured.

The site is not entirely model RR, but there are some things there. A private email is considered a common courtesy, something that is fast disappearing in our time of "political correctness." ("Total wrongness is more like it.)

Sorry, JP, but your tone has been defensive from the start, and there was no need for it. If he wants to password protect the file, it's his business, you weren't asked to pay anything. I didn't get any popup, but clicking on the "X" in the corner isn't any great amount of effort.
Net result, another of the small but nice resources lost to a big mouth.
Rich.
Brad wrote:

Hi Brad Part of Models from the Mist's long term plan is to create plansheets in a number of scales O included. which isn't really a hard thing as the plansheets are already drawn at 300dpi which makes for large images with good detail. In fact I have found that the smaller the print process the more likely there is a loss of detail. Also the models I am creating are originally drawn with separate doors, door frames and such which enables for layered recessed door ways or windows. The process of reduction for HO, N etc scales means that these are printed on a flat wall surface only. If the demand for larger scales like O is there, I am quite prepared to format the files so they will print at the larger scales, although I think the end user would require the models to be printed on an A3 printer. On the other hand they could be formatted to fit on A4. It will really depend on the demand I guess.
Bob da Kiwi

was
go
with
on
no
on
Lost ? Since they're still available per new (and common sense) methods, exactly how are they lost ?

Re read his last postings, then you decide who has a comprehension problem. HE stated that there won't be any more posted for download without membership. Gettum picture, Lonesome Polecat?
Rich
(And no, I'm not vey nice.)
On 11 Mar 2006 22:27:58 -0800, "DC3D Cardmodeller"

    It's an internet newsgroup, what do you expect? Remember they still respond to trolls and get into extensive flamewars here. That does not bode well when expecting a rational set of responses. (and people wonder why the forums are gaining in popularity and NGs shrinking)
                                cat

Rather harsh, just try to be aware of what you open. Not a problem.
PDF, which I consider a disgusting format, mainly because there is no slower method to download, has it's attractions to some, but mostly advertisers and egotists that want everyone to see and print exactly the same thing, no way to cull useless information. Some programs I have, the manual is in PDF, and in one of them 1/4 of the pages have either two or three lines of text, some only two or three words and no way to cull without sending adope obscene amounts of money for acrobat. This one also wants to print in high quality mode and landscape format, which might explain why that program is in the drawer of programs I don't use and not in my machine. PowerZip and Winzip both handle .rar files, just click them and they open. Uncompressed PDF is gargantuan to download.
One thing I ocassionally do is a low level format of my HD, when it's done, there is nothing left on that drive, rootkit, worm, virus, spyware that the programs didn't catch are all history. Pain in the butt, maybe a few more months and another format, but installing Linux instead of windblows. Getting tired of paying silly willy for stuff that only half works. Until then, Nortons, Naviscope, AdAware, SpyBot, Zeroclik and Cookiewall. All of which don't make this thing run any faster.
Rich.
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:19:16 -0600, "greybeard"

    Wow you must not work with printable graphics much. In that area PDF is pretty much the only way to send art between machines. PDF has a huge advantage in model arts, namely it regulates the proportions precisely so parts on different pages will print at the same relationship, which is VERY hard to do with other image formats.     As to having to have the full version of Acrobat to remove pages and restructure them inside a PDF, there are several programs which are either freeware or shareware that do exactly that. (no, I do not know their names.)     As for egoists, I guess you could say an artist who wants their work presented as they intend is an egoist but then that is more a statement that would be attributed to someone terribly uncreative and venal. Of course that does not actually pertain to PDFs all it does is constrain proportion, you can alter size easily (I routinely print "HO" models in "N" or smaller using the commands built into the PDFs.     The thing is, howl as one will the PDF is THE primary container for printed data on the net and will remain so unless the even more proprietary format being pushed by Microsoft comes about. Personally I would rather deal with Adobe than MS (if they just offered their programs for Unix, I would convert all my systems immediately)
cat