Small building for download

Free download of a small utility building in 1/87 scale. This is the first in my Urban Series of buildings in the Models from the Mist "Structures for Railroads" collection. Building measures approx 6.5 x 5.5 x5cm high.

Unrar the archive Password for the pdf file is colklink Requires Acrobat Reader

Webpage Link:

DC3D Cardmodeller

DC3D Cardmodeller spake thus:

Password? unrar? Sorry, you lost me there; think I'll pass. (If it was a simple unpassword-protected PDF I'd take a look.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'd steer clear of this download unless you're happy to be bombarded with WinFixer.

Reply to
Doug Cowan

To get rid of Winfixer and other such crap, Remove it via the Control Panel, find its folder, and delete everything that remains in it (you may have to use "attrib -r -h" from the command line first). Then immediately apply a registry cleaner such a Registry Mechanic (which I find is worth the money, about $20-30.) Reboot.

That usually fixes it. If it doesn't, run an anti-spyware program, or two. Then do the registry clean. When removing malware, always run the registry cleaner before rebooting. Otherwise, leftover keys may reinstall and restart the program.

Face up to the dangers, and protect your machine properly. Do not rely on Windows' security features. They are pathetic. Norton is well known but useless if you don't keep it up to date. After the first year, you must pay for updates: do so, it's worth the money. Set it to run on boot, and to automatically update itself. I don't use Norton, but if you already have it, it's a good investment to keep it up to date. I use ZoneAlarm Pro (about $30) and AVG Pro (about $20), set to start on boot, and to scan incoming stuff for spyware etc.

But one anti-malware program is not enough. I use Counterspy (about $20-30, and worth it.) Spybot is free, but unlike most freeware, it works very, very well. If you use it, send the author a donation. I run each of these once a week. Spybot found a villain two weeks ago - the first I've had on this machine since last summer. It pays to be paranoid!

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf Kirchmeir spake thus:

[...]

Sounds to me like all the more reason to avoid this guy's web site altogether.

What's wrong with plain ordinary files (plain text, pictures or *maybe* PDFs if absolutely necessary) on a site open to all without having to resort to arcane uncompression methods and such? Plus no malware, adware, popups, etc.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Doug Cowan wrote: I'd steer clear of this download unless you're happy to be bombarded with WinFixer.

Rather harsh considering that there is no proof one way or the other that my website caused the problem directly.

As reported in another post the download is no longer connected to downloadcounter.com which appears to have had a popup that could have caused the problem.

If anybody has any further problems regarding this download or my website, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

On 11 Mar 2006 00:29:18 -0800, "DC3D Cardmodeller" purred

Hey, hey! Another paper modeler shows up. I have been extolling the virtues of card here for some time and suggesting people join the papermodel group (now with a new address, as papermodels II at Google Groups) and see what they have been missing. It's always good to see another fellow papermodeling rail fan.

cat

Reply to
cat

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:49:05 -0000, "Doug Cowan" purred

How strange I downloaded it back when the model became available (well before it was listed here) and had no problem with anything hiding in it or the transfer and, after seeing your message, downloaded it again with the same result. Looks like you got hit somewhere else.

cat

Reply to
cat

Rather harsh, just try to be aware of what you open. Not a problem.

PDF, which I consider a disgusting format, mainly because there is no slower method to download, has it's attractions to some, but mostly advertisers and egotists that want everyone to see and print exactly the same thing, no way to cull useless information. Some programs I have, the manual is in PDF, and in one of them 1/4 of the pages have either two or three lines of text, some only two or three words and no way to cull without sending adope obscene amounts of money for acrobat. This one also wants to print in high quality mode and landscape format, which might explain why that program is in the drawer of programs I don't use and not in my machine. PowerZip and Winzip both handle .rar files, just click them and they open. Uncompressed PDF is gargantuan to download.

One thing I ocassionally do is a low level format of my HD, when it's done, there is nothing left on that drive, rootkit, worm, virus, spyware that the programs didn't catch are all history. Pain in the butt, maybe a few more months and another format, but installing Linux instead of windblows. Getting tired of paying silly willy for stuff that only half works. Until then, Nortons, Naviscope, AdAware, SpyBot, Zeroclik and Cookiewall. All of which don't make this thing run any faster.

Rich.

Reply to
greybeard

Or better yet, don't download it in the first place.........

Reply to
JP

Maybe not, but since you obviously posted the link without being sure of it's actions, I'd say it's not to harsh at all.

Reply to
JP

Erm. Wake up! There is absolutely no proof that the link to the file caused the problem reported above. I had said, if you read the post you quoted correctly: "> As reported in another post the download is no longer connected to

Considering that I have used the counter from Downloadcounter.com for other downloads from my website for a number of years with no reported problems, I only suggested it COULD be the cause of the problem, NOT

-was- the cause of the problem.

Today I have had several people test download the file with no problems whatsoever with the download or the file itself.

Also up to date over 300 people have downloaded the card model with no problems reported. Over 3600 people have downloaded other files from my website via downloadcounter.com WITHOUT any problems.

The only issues I have personally encountered with downloadcounter.com is that the site is often offline. For that reason I am no longer using that service with the card models.

I stand by my assertion that the comments above are harsh, and were unwarranted considering there is absolutely no proof whatsoever, that the problem originated from my site.

It appears to me that some people jump to conclusions before getting their facts straight. If you don't want to download the file don't. If you don't want to visit my site, you are under no obligation to do so. To all others who do, welcome and I hope you enjoy your visit.

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

And I stand by assertion; tried downloading from the site, and there was a problem. It's a fact, like it or not, so if anyone needs to wake up, it'd be you. That was the point of the original reply; there was a problem with the download.

And posting such on a ng message thread is completely appropriate vs emailing you; it alerts readers and possibly you asap. Not the case with a private email, especially if you're away.

For someone who claims to have such experience with websites/downloads on said site, etc. you should have known how to handle such a situation better than insulting someone who informed you about a problem......who didn't insult *you* in doing so btw.

Reply to
JP

It looks like a nice buiklding, but why have you put so many obstacles in the way for downloading and using it?

First of all, why try to compress a PDF file? It would be a lot simpler to post a link to the PDF, not to a rar archive.

And why rar? Zip is the most widely used archive format for compressing files. Finding the unrar program is extra problem that makes me skip this download.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Excuse me! I only responded to the assertion, if you read the above posts correctly, that my site had a problem with WinFixer. And that the person could have contacted me personally without having to accuse me of something that was not true. I did not insult anyone. I merely stated a fact. People were accusing me of having a download that had another program attached, which it did not.

As for the problem you say you had with the download.. How come you didn't try contacting me????? And what was the problem you had???? So how could I fix something I knew nothing about??? Huh? Huh?

BTW I was not informed about any problem by anybody, rather the person above accused the download as containing a problem, which it didn't. Then another, who had complained about my method of posting the file got on the bandwagon and told everyone to avoid my site. Did I insult them? No! I merely stated that I was unaware of any problem with the download or my site, that no problems had been reported to me. Instead I get people making accusations, complaining about my method of download and all because you people (the few who posted here complaining) either *think* you had a problem on you computer because you *thought* it easier to blame someone for it, or cannot cope with the method I use for my file distribution.Which by the way has been no problem for over 300 people who have downloaded the file. It appears to me that some people expect to get something for nothing, yet complain on how it is packaged. What a nice friendly bunch you are. NOT!

The fact remains. The people who have complained here about the download could have contacted me personally rather than make wild accusations with scare tactics. There are ways of dealing with such problems to avoid public discussions such as this. Oh, this would have been conducted through email but I couldn't contact them as their email addresses here are not legitimate.

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

Ken Rice wrote:

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

If you watch the sale ads/rebates, you can get the newest versions of NAV and McAfee virtually free every year, by using sale prices and store/"Upgrade" rebates.

That gives you not only the latest signatures, but the latest engines as well.

I also use AVG, but my SWMBO's machine has the McAfee Security Suite. Haven't paid more than tax and rebate postage for the product in years...

HTH, Steve

Reply to
Stevert

Hello cat,

I used to get catalogs from a place called Paper Models International (but haven't seen a catalog in a long time -do they still put one out?) and built several projects from that source. If I recall, a lot of their structures were HO. Is there any source out there you know of that's good for O scale? Especially smaller (and older looking) things like houses, small shops, sheds. etc. Wouldn't mind building some of these as temporary structures until time and money allow for better ones.

Being on a WebTV+, I can't download files so the source has to be a place I can purchase kits from.

As another option, would taking an HO card kit to Kinko's and having it enlarged on a color copy machine the appropriate percentage, work? That is if they would or could print color on cardstock.

~Brad H.

Reply to
flyingdragon64

  1. I never said I had a problem with the download. Try cranking down the temper a notch, and reading a post. Comprehension is a nice trait to have.
  2. I already addressed the potential problems (and it's an unrealistic request for that matter, especially on usenet) of expecting someone to contact you, or any other web owner.

Instead

It's usenet, not a moderated forum. Judging by your reactions, I'd say you're new to web hosting, usenet, etc; if you blow a gasket everytime someone mentions something negative (in your mind) about your site, you won't last long.

And the fact remains, as I've said more than once, that when there's a problem, contacting by email is a ridiculously niave expectation. Btw, not using a real email addy is sop for usenet.

Reply to
JP

Interesting, I just went to the site, curiosity now, downloaded, about fifteen minutes on a dial up connection. (Which is why I don't normally go after .pdf files.) Download window said "Powerzip archive" for file type, no problem. unrared, gave adope the password when it asked, printed just fine. I'd say you have a problem, but ignorance can be cured.

The site is not entirely model RR, but there are some things there. A private email is considered a common courtesy, something that is fast disappearing in our time of "political correctness." ("Total wrongness is more like it.)

Sorry, JP, but your tone has been defensive from the start, and there was no need for it. If he wants to password protect the file, it's his business, you weren't asked to pay anything. I didn't get any popup, but clicking on the "X" in the corner isn't any great amount of effort.

Net result, another of the small but nice resources lost to a big mouth.

Rich.

Reply to
greybeard