Small building for download

greybeard wrote:

AFAIK, if you have Acrobat or some other pdf-editing capable WP, changing the margin is just a few clicks' work. Unless of course the author has turned off editing. But there are hacks for that, too.
The underlying issue is bozos who accept all defaults without thinking about the needs of their audience. And it will get worse. I just read through a prospectus of a course on PowerPoint. All about the bells and whistles - not a word about the real issue: designing a PP presentation that actually helps the audience. That's fundamental, and is a _writing_ task, not a programming task. I hardly ever watch PP presentations anymore, since 99% of the time the presenter just reads off the text on the screen. And no, model railroaders are not immune to the PP disease.
[snip useful comments about other software.]

Won't matter by the end of the day, I'm now in the process of trashing micro$oft windblows out of all my computers and putting linux in. Four hours of trying to get win 98 to install in an older machine and no luck, windblows can't find it's ass with both hands and a manual in pdf. Not even going to install pdf support in any of them. (But I'm going to have to go buy some new programs, ported for Linux of course, and there will be some pretty expensive ones that will become crossbow targets.) Micro$$$oft now gets $35 for a lousy support email, they can go put their heads back in their browneyes.

Bingo! Look at any of the "instruction manuals", if programs even come with them, all the bells and whistles are defined and described, but not basic things, such as how to configure the defaults so you don't have to go back and reconfigure every time you open the program. Most manuals are written with the continuity of a plate of spaghetti, nothing in any logical order, and then the company will decide that the time honored terms for functions aren't good enough, they've gotta have their own, written with one third of each word taken from a different dialect of an extinct language.
(My mood today is fouler than foul.)
Rich. (No, I ain't even gonna touch a model today.)

with
<snip>
Or better yet, don't download it in the first place.........
JP wrote:

No problems with the d/l, and no sign of Winfixer. If Winfixer showed up on your machine, you got it from some other site.
HTH
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

If you watch the sale ads/rebates, you can get the newest versions of NAV and McAfee virtually free every year, by using sale prices and store/"Upgrade" rebates.
That gives you not only the latest signatures, but the latest engines as well.
I also use AVG, but my SWMBO's machine has the McAfee Security Suite. Haven't paid more than tax and rebate postage for the product in years...
HTH, Steve
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:49:05 -0000, "Doug Cowan"

    How strange I downloaded it back when the model became available (well before it was listed here) and had no problem with anything hiding in it or the transfer and, after seeing your message, downloaded it again with the same result. Looks like you got hit somewhere else.
                            cat
On 11 Mar 2006 00:29:18 -0800, "DC3D Cardmodeller"
    Hey, hey! Another paper modeler shows up. I have been extolling the virtues of card here for some time and suggesting people join the papermodel group (now with a new address, as papermodels II at Google Groups) and see what they have been missing. It's always good to see another fellow papermodeling rail fan.
cat
Hello cat,
I used to get catalogs from a place called Paper Models International (but haven't seen a catalog in a long time -do they still put one out?) and built several projects from that source. If I recall, a lot of their structures were HO. Is there any source out there you know of that's good for O scale? Especially smaller (and older looking) things like houses, small shops, sheds. etc. Wouldn't mind building some of these as temporary structures until time and money allow for better ones.
Being on a WebTV+, I can't download files so the source has to be a place I can purchase kits from.
As another option, would taking an HO card kit to Kinko's and having it enlarged on a color copy machine the appropriate percentage, work? That is if they would or could print color on cardstock.
~Brad H.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: [...]

Well, it would work, but the result would not look very good. Might be OK for background buildings, tho' esp. with a bit of weathering.
HTH
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:46:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net purred

    Yes, Lou is still in business at PAPER MODELS INTERNATIONAL 503-646-4289 9910 SW Bonnie Brae Drive Beaverton OR, 97008 or online at http://www.papermodels.net /
    Some of the new photo real models are more than placeholders and can hold their own with plastic or wood models. In some areas paper models compete with and win against plastics in IPMS competitions. Paper has come a long way in the last few years, thanks in part to members from the papermodels II group (http://groups.google.com/group/Papermodels ) , one of the most fun and relaxed hobby groups anywhere and an exceedingly welcoming bunch.

    You really should see if you can at least get an older PC as there are SO many things out there for download, like thousands of models of all kinds =^-^
cat
On: Wed, Mar 15, 2006, 8:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@consultant.com (cat) replied to questions about Paper Models International:

Thanks cat! Have filed the PMI site and will look into the google group (will have to join before they let me read anything). Ken posted another URL for another paper model site in this thread and the homepage has some really impressive built model displays. I can see what you mean by the improvements in recent years.

I know. This internet box has me spoiled though for the time being. Can't do as much as a computer but the basic stuff like surfing around is so much easier and no threat of crashes, viruses or anything like that. But eventually...
Here's the place Ken Day mentioned (by the way; thanks for the info Ken!):
www.papercreek.com
~Brad H.
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:46:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Heres a place that has some real nice cardstock models that you can order. Actually , thats the only they sell as far I know. They are sorta pricey , but very nice. I just built their " Randsburg" false front stores and looks real good. Hard to tell it from a craftsman wood kit. It has a lot of parts such as laser cut windows , tar paper siding for a portion of it and tar paper roof. It was 29.95 for the HO version. IMO , it was worth it.
www.papercreek.com
Ken Day
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

It looks like a nice buiklding, but why have you put so many obstacles in the way for downloading and using it?
First of all, why try to compress a PDF file? It would be a lot simpler to post a link to the PDF, not to a rar archive.
And why rar? Zip is the most widely used archive format for compressing files. Finding the unrar program is extra problem that makes me skip this download.
Ken Rice wrote: <<It looks like a nice buiklding, but why have you put so many obstacles in the <<way for downloading and using it? No obstacles at all. Download, unarchive, open file with supplied password. Simple.
<<First of all, why try to compress a PDF file? It would be a lot simpler to post <<a link to the PDF, not to a rar archive. The PDF wasn't archived for compression reasons. The archive contains a text file with some instructions that were added after the pdf was made. That is why the pdf itself isn't downloadable.
<<And why rar? Zip is the most widely used archive format for compressing files. Not true. Rar is a very old archive format that has been around for many years. I use rar as part of my normal day job, and my employers don't see the rar format as a stumbling block. I had actually first used WinAce as its compression ratios squeezed the pdf a bit further.
<<Finding the unrar program is extra problem that makes me skip this download. So you don't download anything unless it is pdf or zip? Interesting. However it is your choice I guess, but WinRar has been available for many years.
Will I change to zip format? Possibly Will I change the method of file download with password? No. I may even go to registered users only, where only those with a valid DC3D account get access to the downloads. Will that avoid problems? Yes. I won't have to come on to this list and be bombarded with false accusations and people bemoaning the fact they cannot work out a simple download. Will I announce anymore free downloads here? No. If anybody wants to be informed of the next free download they will have to register on my forum and be given access to the members only section.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Being encouraged by your previous reply to my posting, I got a copy of WinRAR. I downloaded the file, opened it with WinRAR, entered the password, and got the following error messages:
1 USR1001_sm_building.rar: The file "USR1001_sm_building.pdf" header is corrupt 2 USR1001_sm_building.rar: Unknown method in USR1001_sm_building.pdf 3 USR1001_sm_building.rar: The file "Print Instructions.txt" header is corrupt 4 USR1001_sm_building.rar: Unknown method in Print Instructions.txt 5 USR1001_sm_building.rar: No files to extract
Ken I'm interested to know at what stage you entered the password as the rar file itself doesn't require one. Only the pdf file requires the password. I have just downloaded the file again and extracted the files with no error.
BTW just for interest's sake are you using a PC or Mac? I have a feeling that the problems could be related to incompatibilty between machines. It is only a hunch. if you have any further problems with this please contact me personally or on the official forum. Thanks Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Ok, I misunderstood about when to enter the password. WinRAR has a menu item for password. But I got the error messages both with and without the password.
I'm using a Pentium 4 PC running WinME.
Ken If you want you can contact me by email and i will send you a copy of the pdf file. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. Cheers Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Thanks for the offer. I emailed you privately.
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 04:04:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.ads (Ken Rice) purred

    WinRar for some odd reason does not recognize the newer releases of the code and trips itself on some archives. I was being driven nuts with that but converting to Power Archiver fixed that. PA opens almost all the archive types except the most proprietary ones and is pretty much a one stop solution for archives.
cat