Small building for download

Hi Brad Part of Models from the Mist's long term plan is to create plansheets in a number of scales O included. which isn't really a hard thing as the plansheets are already drawn at 300dpi which makes for large images with good detail. In fact I have found that the smaller the print process the more likely there is a loss of detail. Also the models I am creating are originally drawn with separate doors, door frames and such which enables for layered recessed door ways or windows. The process of reduction for HO, N etc scales means that these are printed on a flat wall surface only. If the demand for larger scales like O is there, I am quite prepared to format the files so they will print at the larger scales, although I think the end user would require the models to be printed on an A3 printer. On the other hand they could be formatted to fit on A4. It will really depend on the demand I guess.

Bob da Kiwi

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

Lost ? Since they're still available per new (and common sense) methods, exactly how are they lost ?

Reply to
JP

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: [...]

Well, it would work, but the result would not look very good. Might be OK for background buildings, tho' esp. with a bit of weathering.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

No problems with the d/l, and no sign of Winfixer. If Winfixer showed up on your machine, you got it from some other site.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Being encouraged by your previous reply to my posting, I got a copy of WinRAR. I downloaded the file, opened it with WinRAR, entered the password, and got the following error messages:

1 USR1001_sm_building.rar: The file "USR1001_sm_building.pdf" header is corrupt 2 USR1001_sm_building.rar: Unknown method in USR1001_sm_building.pdf 3 USR1001_sm_building.rar: The file "Print Instructions.txt" header is corrupt 4 USR1001_sm_building.rar: Unknown method in Print Instructions.txt 5 USR1001_sm_building.rar: No files to extract
Reply to
Ken Rice

Ken I'm interested to know at what stage you entered the password as the rar file itself doesn't require one. Only the pdf file requires the password. I have just downloaded the file again and extracted the files with no error.

BTW just for interest's sake are you using a PC or Mac? I have a feeling that the problems could be related to incompatibilty between machines. It is only a hunch. if you have any further problems with this please contact me personally or on the official forum. Thanks Bob

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

Ok, I misunderstood about when to enter the password. WinRAR has a menu item for password. But I got the error messages both with and without the password.

I'm using a Pentium 4 PC running WinME.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Ken If you want you can contact me by email and i will send you a copy of the pdf file. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. Cheers Bob

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

Re read his last postings, then you decide who has a comprehension problem. HE stated that there won't be any more posted for download without membership. Gettum picture, Lonesome Polecat?

Rich

(And no, I'm not vey nice.)

Reply to
greybeard

Thanks for the offer. I emailed you privately.

Reply to
Ken Rice

DC3D Cardmodeller said the following on 3/11/2006 12:29 AM:

Hey, thanks. I downloaded this file with no problem. I do have a couple of complaints though. Could you have made the password maybe 4 letters? I had to type in 8. Also, why didn't you supply the cardstock? You expect me to use my own materials to print this building? BTW, it looks nice.

keywords = gift horse

Reply to
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan provided feedback that went:

Lol, Kirk, that was good. The cardstock will be available for download. I'm not sure whether I will archive it or have it passworded. Depending on the thickness you want it may take a day or two to squeeze in the 300gsm card into my USB port. I tried scanning the card but the result wasn't that good. I'd hate to supply cardstock that didn't meet peoples' expectations. If I can compress the glue and knife into a Zip file I think we could be on to a winner. :)

Cheers Bob

Webpage Link:

DC3D Cardmodeller

When you make the cardstock available for download, please keep in mind that modelers at high altitudes need thinner cardstock for their models. The heavier card stock tends to look overdone. It has something to do with the lower air pressure.

Reply to
Ken Rice

To Kirk and Ken I'm having difficult time compressing the glue. The knife went into WinZip ok, but I think the anti terror boffins will have a field day about something so dangerous going through the email system. So sadly the weapon.. er craft knife.. won't be included. I had a devil's own job getting the glue to compress properly. You can imagine the mess.. Thank God I dont have a floppy :)>

I got an email from some dude in the Amazon who complained about the amount of trees that were being sacrificed for card and railroad modellers. He said I wasnt helping much by spreading cardstock around the internet via email. He said because of it he was up to his ears in soya bean plants. Anyway. I'm looking for an alternative means of getting the craft knifes through.. thats when I clean the bl**dy glue out of my USB port.

@Ken I take your point about the altitude. I might have to see if card made from balsa would be a better alternative...

Cheers Bob

Reply to
DC3D Cardmodeller

Bob, have you tried to pour the glue into the serial port? It's a lot bigger...

Reply to
kt0t

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 04:04:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.ads (Ken Rice) purred

WinRar for some odd reason does not recognize the newer releases of the code and trips itself on some archives. I was being driven nuts with that but converting to Power Archiver fixed that. PA opens almost all the archive types except the most proprietary ones and is pretty much a one stop solution for archives.

cat

Reply to
cat

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:19:16 -0600, "greybeard" purred

Wow you must not work with printable graphics much. In that area PDF is pretty much the only way to send art between machines. PDF has a huge advantage in model arts, namely it regulates the proportions precisely so parts on different pages will print at the same relationship, which is VERY hard to do with other image formats. As to having to have the full version of Acrobat to remove pages and restructure them inside a PDF, there are several programs which are either freeware or shareware that do exactly that. (no, I do not know their names.) As for egoists, I guess you could say an artist who wants their work presented as they intend is an egoist but then that is more a statement that would be attributed to someone terribly uncreative and venal. Of course that does not actually pertain to PDFs all it does is constrain proportion, you can alter size easily (I routinely print "HO" models in "N" or smaller using the commands built into the PDFs. The thing is, howl as one will the PDF is THE primary container for printed data on the net and will remain so unless the even more proprietary format being pushed by Microsoft comes about. Personally I would rather deal with Adobe than MS (if they just offered their programs for Unix, I would convert all my systems immediately)

cat

Reply to
cat

On 11 Mar 2006 22:27:58 -0800, "DC3D Cardmodeller" purred

It's an internet newsgroup, what do you expect? Remember they still respond to trolls and get into extensive flamewars here. That does not bode well when expecting a rational set of responses. (and people wonder why the forums are gaining in popularity and NGs shrinking)

cat

Reply to
cat

On 12 Mar 2006 12:01:54 -0800, "DC3D Cardmodeller" purred

This is not the papermodels group, that is for sure. Over the years I have noted a lot (not all but still far too many) model railroaders take themselves too seriously and get too crabby. Maybe because many are older they tend to follow the old=grouch stereotype but, suffice to say, model railroading is one of the less welcoming hobbies that I have encountered over the years. While I have met some great friendly people in the hobby I have met an awful lot of crabs. more than in a lot of hobbies. Sad.

cat

Reply to
cat

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:46:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net purred

Yes, Lou is still in business at PAPER MODELS INTERNATIONAL

503-646-4289 9910 SW Bonnie Brae Drive Beaverton OR, 97008 or online at
Some of the new photo real models are more than placeholders and can hold their own with plastic or wood models. In some areas paper models compete with and win against plastics in IPMS competitions. Paper has come a long way in the last few years, thanks in part to members from the papermodels II group
, one of the most fun and relaxed hobby groups anywhere and an exceedingly welcoming bunch.

You really should see if you can at least get an older PC as there are SO many things out there for download, like thousands of models of all kinds =^-^=

cat

Reply to
cat