cat40 toolholder sticking in spindle

I stopped using WD40 and started putting on a tiny bit of Moly grease. I still have one holder, a 3/8" end mill holder which I keep my edge
finder in, and it sticks like crazy. no amount of cleaning helps and I can't see or feel anything wrong. what should I look for? call it junk and scrap it?
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

junk it and DON'T use any form of liquid on the tapers...........greases etc hold grit and muck.
Tpow is right usually when holders start sticking they are shot and should be thrown out. As he said you shouldn't need any lubricant on the spindle taper.

I noticed that some people will clean the taper with scotch pad and that only makes them look good but what I do is to put it on a lathe and polish it with Autosol paste. They shine tike a mirror and it seems to take care of the sticking problem as long as your spindle is good. Jerry

I have a couple Fadals and after high load cuts is when the holder sticks hard for me. I have not tried anything in it as I worry about grit also. Maybe a dry lube would be the way to go, like graphic. .....Just my 2 cents

vega wrote:

Vega:
    Did you read my Fadal recommendation post to this thread?
    Here's the pertinent part:
Fadal put out a service bulletin on March 9, 1994 that reads:
-------------------------------------------------------------- Sticking Tools In Spindle
On occasion, a customer will report that a tool will stick in the spindle, particularly after a long cut. Of course what happens is that the spindle taper and tool holder are warming up under the load. and the spindle will "swallow" the tool.
Sometimes, the customer will say that he merely taps the side of the tool, and out it comes with a "pop." The noise does not mean that anything is wrong, but that the taper of the tool holder and the taper of the spindle are nearly exactly the same.
A product such as LPS-3, PermaTex Teflon spray, or ZEP IronClad (NOT WD-40) is effective to spray on the tool holder tapers. Also, a product such as 1-Puffs dry lubricant (NOT graphite) helps a little. -----------------------------------------------------------------
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, Vega, I've noticed this a bit lately on my machine. On mine it seems to be primarily the endmills. My theory is along with the heat there is more vibration with the endmills and it tends to wedge the holder in a bit.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Jerry wrote:

Jerry:
    I would suspect it a case of fretting. Let me go find a nice clean explanation of fretting...
====================================================================http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting
    Fretting (or fretting corrosion) refers to combined wear and corrosion damage at the asperities of contact surfaces. This damage is induced under load and in the presence of repeated relative surface motion, as induced for example by vibration. The ASM Handbook on Fatigue and Fracture defines fretting as: "A special wear process that occurs at the contact area between two materials under load and subject to minute relative motion by vibration or some other force." The amplitude of the relative sliding motion is often in the order from micrometers to millimeters, but can be as low as 3 to 4 nanometers[1]. The contact movement causes mechanical wear and material transfer at the surface, often followed by oxidation of the debris and the freshly-exposed surface. The oxidized debris can further act as an abrasive. However, fretting can also occur in inert gases or in vacuum (e.g., in space). Fretting damage can often be identified by the presence of rouge (iron oxide powder) and the rough, torn appearance of the pitted surface. ====================================================================
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
I knew I asked the right person. Jerry

Jerry wrote:

Jerry:
    Thanks. But I just happened to be the first one to respond, because I had to get up about 3:00 AM to pee. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
You take your laptop with you when you pee? I hope you pee sitting down. Jerry

Jerry wrote:

Jerry:
    Good one. I guess that will teach me to interject personal information. LMAO!
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Randy wrote:

Randy:
    Here is a copy from an old thread about tool sticking: