No Dissassemble

Well, tiredof the piece of paper trick I bought an edge finder. Didn't work all covered in protective grease. A little WD40 sprayed on shop wrag and, VIOLA! It worked perfectly when I tested it. Exactly like it was supposed to. Wobble, steady, offset. A test slot milled in a piece of scrap mic'ed about .001 off. Not bad. Then I went to actually use it to setup a work piece and whizzzz.... the neat little makes a dandy top on the mill table until it drops in a t- slot. I put it back together and whizzzzz... did I mention that the feeler end makes a dandy spinning top until it drops in a t-slot.

Wadda ya think? A tiny dab of purple Loctite on the screw and feeler threads?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How fast did you spin it?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Too fast I guess.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Mine works well at 600 RPM, just went down and checked it. I think I had one spinning a little over 1000 on a Bridgeport once.

Sorry I can't help you on CNC feeds. I learned the limits on a manual mill first, by burning and breaking tools, then by the audible complaints an overloaded machine hopefully makes just before that. I feed a CNC machine gently to avoid breaking a valuable prototype.

The very few times I've done a small production run I worked up slowly to an efficient rate. When I damaged a part I kept it in the batch to try out the next cut on.

Good luck jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yeah, that's basically how I am learning. Gouging work pieces and breaking tools. The thing is I am about ready to step up to some bigger (more involved) projects, and I would sure like to push the envelope for speed. At feed rates I have found to be safe my first one is about 35 hours run time estimated. That's with coolant and I can't use a water based coolant. I am concerned about flash, and I do not want to sit there for 35 hours while the part runs. If I slowed down enough to cut it dry and not worry about heat I would work harden the material. Even if I didn't it would probably take several tool changes and re-zeroes to finish the job, and take about 5 days. (That's for one half of the project. LOL. Its two pieces equally complex.)

Reply to
Bob La Londe