Any known contacts for MillMaster ?

Hello,

I am trying to track down some information on a MillMaster vertical. Does anybody know of contact information for the manufacturer?

Thanks.

Regards,

Ross

Reply to
Ross Wagner

Gorton is mostly dead. There is a company that may have some oddments thats partially owned by one of the family.

Hummm is that Mill Master or MasterMill? MillMaster is a Taiwan import built along the lines of your basic Bridgeport, but with a squared off head design, rather than the BPs rounded style.

If its a Gorton MasterMill..I have some documentation.

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

Hi Gunner,

I just recently realized that there are "Mill Master" and "MillMaster" milling machines out in the world. Ours is a MillMaster. Thanks for confirming that it's a Taiwanese job. I was told that the manufacturer was in the U.S.A. I'll try digging around the net some more and see what info I can find. I am basically trying to determine the proper type of spindle oil for the head. (The machine came to us without the lubrication plated that, according to the user's manual, is attached to the base of the machine.)

Thanks a bunch.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Wagner

Just as a double check, look at the one on my website

and make sure its not a Gorton.

If its not..then just use the same lube that the Bridgeports use. Most fo the clones were pretty faithful, with the exceptions of some cosmetics (and material quality and fitting)

Lots of guys simply fill the cups with a good non detergent 30weight oil, or a synthetic.

Here is a bit that might be helpful

go down to the section that shows the
and see where it tells you to put in the Lubriplate grease. Since the set screw is not marked on older machines..that part seldom gets lubed
When you hear a rattly head ..thats the usual cause.

This is pretty common even on the clones.

If your machine is a variable speed head..at least once a week, run the speed up and down.

Ive repaired 4 BP/clones in the last two months that had either frozen or blown out varipulleys from not being moved. Moy Importanto!

Gunner Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Hi Gunner,

Thanks for the useful web sites! Chips is a nice cat.

I have confirmed that our MillMaster is not a Gorton. Also, we have a varispeed head that looks very much like that shown in Fig. 10 on the its.foxvalleytech.com web site.

I have been trying to find what type of oil to use in the oil cups. The mill head can rev up to 4200 RPM. I was able to find spindle oil, from McMaster-Carr, rated for use either for 0-3600 RPM, 3600-6000 RPM, or greater than 6000 PRM. There is no oil that really matches the head's speed range. Fig. 12 that shows the lubrication plate for a BP is just what I needed to see. I had no idea that there are two sets of cups, each requiring different oil grades, nor that the grades are so vaguely specified.

Given all of this, and that out milling machine will be used for the occasional project, I figure that it would be safe to use the 0-3600 RPM spindle oil.

Also, thanks for the tip on maintaining the varispeed drive.

Regards,

Ross

Reply to
Ross Wagner

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner