Scam?

I tossed in a starting bid on Steve Herrs mill a couple days ago on eby..and got this email....Not that I can afford this fellows mill ..but it may be either a scam, or somebody in the UK may be interested.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:29:08 -0800 (PST) From: christian w Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2590621603 To: Gunner Asch

Hi, My mill is Bridgeport Knee Mill Series I, 2 HP with Proto Trak 2 Axis NC Control Description: Table 9" X 42", Spindle Rates 60 to 4200 RPM, Inf. Var., Quill Feed Rates .0015,.003 & .006 IPR, Motor 2 HP,220/440V,3ph,60Hz Weight, approx 1,300 lbs. Equipped with: Proto Trak 2 Axis NC Control, With Trak Z Axis Quill Readout,Infinitely Variable Spindle Speed Control Sir I live in London UK, E10 5LT, but right now I am at my wife father in other country. If you are interest to buy I will ship you the machine from here via UPS SERVICES in collaboration with AIRBOARD AIRLINES and all the taxes will be included in the last price of the machine. I will give you a 15 days money back guarantee, no questions asked -- this means that if within 15 days from the sale you decide not to keep the machine, for whatever reason, you'll ship it back to me (I WILL PAY FOR HER SHIPPING BACK) and you'll get your full amount paid back, before the shipping is done. Thank you for your interest, I'll be online

Gunner Asch wrote: Am interested. send information

At 12:57 PM 1/26/2004 -0800, you wrote:

Hi! >Dear eBay member, sorry because I bother you. I saw that you are >interested in purchase a product (BRIDGEPORT LAGUN (type) Vertical Mill >DRO PF). >I want to tell you that I have the same product that you bid on, but at a >very good price. I want to sell it because I have bad problems with the >money. Haven`t been used to much. It is in very good conditions used but >no scratches. If you are interested I can send you all information's you >need and pics of course. This are excellent beginner for a good deal >between us. >Thank you for your interest, I'll be online. > >--------------------

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

I don't think UPS will handle that mill to begin with nor will Airboard Airlines (whomever they are) and the costs of shipping such an item will be probably on the order of the cost of the mill. That has to be a spam.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Sounds too good to be true.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Not saying its a scam either but that postcode resolves to Leyton, a somewhat depressed definately fairly post industrial part of north east london, the far side of the Lee valley. I'd be careful myself as a London resident. Also WHY is it 220V 60Hz. I would expect a UK bridgeport to be 240V 50Hz. I am no expert and have never made chips on a mill, but I have done considerable work on the controlling PC on one of my regular customer's bridgeport.

OT: Ive trailed my boat through that neibourhood and I reckon most of the population had ever seen a privately owned sailboat before. Heads turned. NOT the usual inner city reaction in a non waterfront area. I think but arent sure that the postcode would be just off the highstreet I drove through with my boat.

Make of that what you will.

should let you look up any future UK postcodes (Which work like zip codes, but alphanumeric. 1-3 letters, a number, a space another number and a couple of letters: XXXnnn nXX). If you have a house number as well, it can be resolved to a FULL uk postal address. I expected this one not to be valid, but it was.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

P.S Gunner, Our london local newspaper is the 'Evening Standard' If he can email you a photo of the mill with the current issue folded heading up laying on the table, with a message to you written in marker pen, Its probably legit, but he has allready said he's out of the country so would probably have an excuse ready. He'd have to return to prepare it for shipping though, so any excuse shouldnt hold up.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

As I indicated..Ive no interest in the mill, but if it was legit..perhaps someone posting here from the UK might.

Hence I left in the email addy of the seller.

Gunner

[...]

I bid on Herrs' virgin Lagun last week, and got an email from the same "christian_wood", however he offered a "similar machine" located here in the U.S. not U.K.

I didn't save the email.

Reply to
Toolbert

So why did you bid on it, as you said in your original post?

Abrasha

Abrasha

According to the info with the mill Gunner posted about, it is located in Temecula, CA (United satates/Los Angeles). No mention anywhere of U.K.

Abrasha

Abrasha

If you set aside your annoyance with Gunner for a minute and read the WHOLE original post, you'll see that he bid on a particular mill on ebay, then received an unsolicited email from another party telling him they had the same type of mill that they would sell very cheap blah blah blah.

This is a common scam on the Automotive side of Ebay. My dad received an similar email after bidding on a skidsteer. Told him he'd sell the thing for $500 or so less than his bid, AND would ship it by UPS(!) clear across the country for a deposit, the rest payable after he received it and inspected it. What a prince!

Reply to
Peter Snell

To get a starting bid in . Shrug..I like Steve, he seems to be a good and honorable man, and I know enough people whom have bought commercial machines from him to now be able to recommend him. And thats saying a lot in an industry with more than its fair share of scammers and con artists.

You seem to forget I do machine tool repair/sales/brokering in commercial shops. My interfacing with HSM guys is for fun and enjoyment. The other stuff is "work".

Im an individual with feet in both worlds, production shops, and home shops. Sometimes its interesting to see how both sides handle things. Ive helped HSM guys do a setup like a pro would do, and Ive passed on HSM tricks to pros. Two different mindsets using machines doing similar jobs.

Too bad your not out in California, Id take you to a swiss house and let you dabble with a Tornos or Bechler screw machine that can turn out the same part +/- .0001 for weeks at a time, dropping a part every 5 seconds using 6 tools. Or a Viper gantry mill that is milling at 600 inches per minute on a billet thats as big as your living room. Where they do tool offsets by standing in the middle of the work piece, using cigarette papers and a pendant control with a 25' cable.

Two different worlds, both fun to be involved in.

Gunner

[...]

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:21:58 +0000, Ian Malcolm vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Actually, he says he will ship it from _here_ (he is in another country with his wife's father), whereabouts unknown?

hmmmm....

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Yep its a scam, since when did we start using postal codes ?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Doubtless a scam.

Ignoramus18826

I get plenty of responses from people whose first language is not English. I do not hold poor grammar against them.

Your email was a scam, but dismissing all emails written in poor English is also a mistake.

Ignoramus18826

"azotic" on Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:08:30 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Way back, long before we switch to the Zone Improvement Program's codes.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:00:59 -0800:

Yes! Scam. To confirm, you can reply with some strange facts or odd terms and see that they aren't scared off. Like tell them that it's from your sisters barbie set. They won't bat an eye.

Reply to
dan

Have some fun!

Tom Gardner

I think what you have is a bush league variation of the classic Nigerian

419 scam:

There is a whole subculture out there who's 'hobby' is yanking the chains of these little scammer bastards... Check this along with Tom Gardners link above:

Some hilarious stuff is on this site... but many hours of reading...

(CAUTION! Read, understand and heed the warning posted here:

...should you choose to dick with one of these clowns.)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

[ ... ]

It sure feels like one to me. I don't know what you can do with your bank to get it truly verified in a way which won't come back to bite you. Perhaps start out with the local police or something?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols