Small (metal) shop septic system

I've built a small shop (1500') on the farm. It is properly plumbed inside for a sink and toilet. No zoning or permits required except for septic. County has banned new conventional leach field systems. Grandfathered ones can be repaired but not replaced. Smallest permissible new is three 500 gallon tank aerobic with both pumps.

I'll be the only one using it and it may not get used every day. And then, probably only for a pee. There is livestock on the other side of a fence 4 feet from the building.

Options and possibilities:

The new system which is out because of cost. operating permit is $450.

Connect to an existing conventional system (currently not in use) 60 ' away. With proper drop, waste line would enter tank half way down the side, 3 feet or so. Lateral line would have to be replaced, deeper.

Pump from a new holding tank to an aerobic system 200 feet away. This would involve trenching across an established lawn. Pretty much rule this out.

Go take a leak in the barn or walk the 150 feet to the house..

Or...bootleg a small system that would be sized to handle the small amount of waste.

I'm leaning toward the latter but I have concerns about whether there would be enough solids to keep the bacteria working.

I'm thinking maybe two buried plastic barrels in series; pumping the liquid from the second into the barnyard or a conventional lateral line. Wouldn't be more than...maybe...5 gallons a day. Not just pee; hand washing and flushing you know.

I'd like to hear comments and suggestions.

I suppose there is another option. Chamber pot/slop jar, depending on which side of the Mason/Dixon line you're on. :)

Reply to
Andy Asberry

You could look at a chemical toilet or a composting toilet (do a Google search on it...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Is an outhouse illegal? I you not going pour anything nasty in it I'd just run the sink to some sort of drain field, say a buried bucket with holes in it wrapped in that cloth that keeps dirt out. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

If you're looking at a bootleg system, the barrels will crush on you. I'd suggest you use a culvert for your tank. No reason a long narrow septic tank won't work. Plug ends with concrete around inlet and outlet lines.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sympathize, but I humbly submit that if you build it it will come. I put a toilet into my basement shop so I'd stop tracking chips upstairs, and yes old #2 does seem to happen there with some, um, regularity :-)

If it's really just #1, a gallon jug labeled MEN will get you quite a ways.

GWE

Andy Asberry wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

There's also the Incinolet (I'm not sure about the spelling) - an incinerator toilet, as well as systems that pump the slop uphill into a septic/sewer. Both are regularly advertised in Fine Homebuilding magazine.

Me, I walk the 30 feet or so to the edge of the woods. Dogwoods provide plenty of privacy. The sink runoff does just that (downhill). I figure I can wash my hands using a hose (or "hose-pipe", here in de South) and no one would complain, so the sink just helps channel the water. Boraxo seems pretty benign in the amounts I use.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Coffee can works for me ;)

- - Rex B

Grant Erw> Sympathize, but I humbly submit that if you build it it will come. I put

Reply to
Rex B

Karl's idea is what basically I have at my house. It was common to use two concrete culverts on end to do the deed. The waste flows into the first tank, through a 6" pipe to the second , and then out into the leech field. The tanks are about 36" in dia and maybe 4' tall. The pipes in the sides are about 3.5' above the bottom. The inlet and outlet have elbows pointed down for baffles. Its been working better than 50 years. lg no neat sig line

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:X_qFe.5035$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
larry g

Get a porta-potty as used by many campers - One tank with built in bowl, seat, flush valve and wash down pump. This tank holds the supply of fresh water. Lower tank holds the waste and is carried to a toilet or dumping station. They cost about $100 and when used with disinfectant should be good for at least a week. At least that was the story thirty years ago when I bought one. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That's not an issue. There are products on the market that will work, and they're not expensive. One of them, DrainCare, is available at Home Depot. It's an enzyme product that is intended for clearing clogged drains by digesting solids....... I've used it with very good success, and recommend it highly. You could introduce a small amount a few times each year and keep the tank(s) functioning just fine.

Usual disclaimers----just a satisfied customer.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

For #1...google on the term "piss tube"

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

I wish there were someplace where really helpful product tidbits like this could be stored. I nabbed this one and archived it because it may come in handy and I trust Harold's judgement. I've replaced 2 toilets in my house because of frequent clogging, and sure wish I'd known about this. I also have an ejector pump system in my basement shop bathroom, and the float valve gets sticky sometimes. Maybe this stuff would help.

In lieu of such a repository, I encourage anyone who has actual useful product information to make it available. I recall the recent thread on purple cleaner and how good a job it does on various hard-to-clean items, for example.

GWE

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin