Hand Deodorizer?

SWMBO wants a hand deodorizer. According to her it is a piece of stainless that will remove fish odor from your hands if you rub it. The catalog shows a piece of metal that is cast into the shape of a bar of soap. Does anyone know the type of stainless this might be and why rubbing it would remove odor?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

Good Eats TV show said any piece of stainless steel will work just as well. I think he was using a big spoon. Don't know how it works or if it actually does. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Woman on a cookery prog. wiped her hands round a stainless steel saucepan - said it would remove smell.

Reply to
PR

I guess I broke my wife in better than you did, mine wouldn't consider telling me her fingers stink 'cause she'd know the direction the conversation would take;-)

John

Reply to
JohnM

:-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
william_b_noble

Checkout ebay. Odor bar. Item number: 4395168646

Reply to
kk

My God, $3.25 complete in a velour draw string bag. I sure can't make one any cheaper than that.

Thanks Guys

Jake

kk wrote:

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

So..... is it some kind of *special* stainless or something exotic? How would this work? The ad on e-bay mentions washing the hands with it under running water.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Does it work for armpits? :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

I'm really, really curious, Randy:

Why would your armpits smell of garlic, onions, and fish?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kinky!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Because he is French?

;-)

Reply to
Martin Evans

The best stuff I've found for removing fish smell from hands is the yellow liquid dishwashing detergent -- I think it's Palmolive. Discovered this in a fishing camp in Northern MN.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I used to think my ancestors were from Germany and was proud. Lately I've learned that they may have been French. :)

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

So..... is it some kind of *special* stainless or something exotic? How would this work? The ad on e-bay mentions washing the hands with it under running water.... Ken.

My guess is this has nothing to do with stainless steel and everything to do with washing your hands. Kinda like that gadget you throw in the washing machine instead of using soap. After Consumer Reports tested it they found the clothes actually did come out cleaner than when they went in but no cleaner than the same clothes run through the wash cycle without the gadget. I'd be willing to guess these stainless steel "fish" (and etc) have a brushed versus a polished finish and it's the friction that rubs off the top layer of skin and takes away the garlic oils with it. This is no doubt the reason for stainless; stays rough, slow to stain and not too expensive. dennis in nca p.s. Although there ARE stainless steels which are approved by the NSF which is the National Sanitation Foundation. This is the authority health departments refer to when approving permits (and associated equipment)for food and restaurant operations. Perhaps it is a "special" steel, especially if used near food???

Reply to
rigger

I've not tried using a lump of stainless but the pumice based hand cleaner I normally use after being in the workshop doesn't get rid of the smell after chopping garlic.

Reply to
Martin Evans

Martin Evans tells us:

^^I've not tried using a lump of stainless but the pumice based hand cleaner I normally use after being in the workshop doesn't get rid of the smell after chopping garlic.^^

Now if we can just get you to try a chunk of stainless to compare to.......

dennis in nca p.s. In my opinion nothing ever compared to the old old Lava soap. I don't think the new old Lava is nearly as good.

Reply to
rigger

I've found that rubbing a small piece of lemon over your hands works very well in getting rid of the fish smell. It also does a great job in getting rid of odors from a microwave. Put wedge of lemon on a saucer (a teaspoon of lemon juice is an adequate substitute), set the the microwave on high for about 30 seconds.

Reply to
reply.to