hand cyst

Has anyone ever had a problem with, or heard of anyone having problems with cysts as a result of blacksmithing? I just went to see my doctor
recently regarding a bump on my right hand at the base of the little finger and he diagnosed it as a ganglion cyst. He saw a direct connection between it and blacksmithing.
I am now taking an anti-inflammatory to help relieve it, but if it doesn't help, it may require surgery, which may prevent me from blacksmithing.
Anyone know anything about this?
Michael Brown
Michael Brown wrote:

You may want to get a better explanation from your doc as to how he is relating this cyst with blacksmithing. Is it due to repetetive stress of the joint(s)? Heat injury?
If you were to give up smithing and take up stonecarving, for example, would it go away?
It does not sound to me like the doc explained his linking this cyst with blacksmithing very well at all, if you have to ask about it here.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/ganglion.html http://www.indianahandcenter.com/med_gang.html Both above from a google search for ganglion cyst http://www.google.ca/search?q=ganglion+cyst&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta Cheers Trevor Jones
These are normally right on the surface, and removing them is normally no big deal. Yes, it's surgery, but I bet you'll be hammering the next day.
You are taking anti-inflammatory to help with *what*? A ganglion cyst is a little bump. Is this growing into your joint or something? What hurts? No way in hell is there a pill that will shrink them either. If you have inflammation in your hand it's my guess it's unrelated to your cyst.
Of course, no matter what I or anyone else say, we are operating at the severe disadvantage that we are only reading what you wrote, while your doctor got to examine you.
Wish you the best .. FWIW, I have had 2 cysts removed. Really, no big deal (unless they're grown right into something).
Grant Erwin
Michael Brown wrote:

Ganglion cysts can form as the result of joint inflamation, usually due to arthritis or repetitive stress. Sometimes with rest of the joint, and anti-inflamatories, they will subside, but can flare up again. Often they have to be surgically removed.
I had one years ago. It had to be surgically removed. It has not recurred. So it is quite possible that blacksmithing was the proximate cause of the cyst you have. But if it is removed, you shouldn't fear continuing to practice your craft. Just be conscious of the hazards of repetitive stress.
There is a wealth of information about these cysts on the web. Go to google and search on "ganglion cyst". That'll keep you busy reading for a few days.
Gary
I had a big one removed that required over two hours under the knife, was in my right wrist, but it wasn't from smithing, and has never been an issue in my smithing since then.
Ron
--

***My e-mail is "PureMail" protected. To reply, please copy and paste***
***the following authorization stamp in the "Subject" line of your reply.***