hand engraving tools

Can anyone direct me to a site that sells HAND engraving tools, (not eBay), for engraving on metal (guns, jewelry)? Not power engravers, or air, or laser, or machines, but the old classic type that you hold in your hand and cut with. I have searched the web, but all I come up with is power hand tools. Any help appreciated. thanks.

zul

Reply to
zuldare

"zuldare" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

From a google search:

You could also try the phone book -- any jewelry supply store in your local area should carry engraving tools.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Reply to
David Billington

As indicated, searching under +jewelry +tools should give you a wealth of sources. A friend who did this for a living told me that one thing neophytes don't expect is the need for a special, heavily-padded glove for the nondominant hand. It seems that stabbing oneself when the scrorper, burin or other tool slips makes the glove an essential.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Brownells gunsmithing supply has some.

It's a little difficult to search their website so I would recommend ordering their catalog.

Dave Berryhill

Reply to
Dave Berryhill

Both Otto Frei

and Rio Grande
sell hand gravers, which are commonly used by goldsmiths. I have several dozen that I use regularly in stone setting.

Unfortunately both have absolutely pathetic web sites. They just don't get it.

However, you can order catalogues from both companies.

Reply to
Abrasha

Reply to
zuldare

Speaking from personal experience, I think you'd need a plate armor gauntlet to stop a determined graver from skewering the off-hand! Plus, I can't imagine engraving with a heavy glove on one hand. Really, the graver is controlled by opposing the holding hand pressure with offsetting pressure from the off-hand -- often by pressing the thumbs together. You should also be pushing the graver with a peculiar palm/wrist motion that is harder to describe than to do -- the graver slides along the holding hand thumb as it moves. Done properly, the tip can't move more than a short distance if it slips. Someetimes, you actually move the work into the graver, not the other way around. If, however, you are pushing with your arm....look out!

Frei and Borel (Oakland, CA) and Gesswein are both good sources for gravers. Brownells carrys a few, as well.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Edwards

As I understand it, most of the ready-to-use commercially available gravers are designed to cut soft metals such as jewelry. Gun engravers usually make their own tools or modify commercial tools to suit their individual needs. Gravers and graver blanks can be bought at

.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Try Brownells: http:

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

these are not hand tools, but power.

Reply to
zuldare

Try, Gesswein Co. Don't know the web address. They sell die sinkers chisels ( used with a light hammer) as well as hand gravers

Reply to
Glen G.