Perimeter generation of 3D model for sheetmatl

Hello,

I am hoping someone can direct me to a program or SW plug-in that will automatically generate the perimeter from a 3D model that a laser would cut to make a sheet metal part. The SW part would most likely be imported from another CAD system so it may not have been designed in SW or even if it was, probably not with sheet metal tools.

We want to employ the power of technology to tell us the total cut length so we can accurately estimate our laser time. If anyone knows of a program or even an estimating program that would extract this info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay Jacobs

Reply to
JayJacobs1776

First off, Cliff we are not talking about CAM. Most laser software is proprietary it is not all run under MasterCAM or any other catch all CAM programming software.

Now Jay, what you are asking for can be done via SolidWorks. Just right click on an edge while the part is showing the flat pattern, click "select loop". This should select the outside perimeter, now click on the measure tool and it will tell you the perimeter length. This can also be automated with the API to work on a single part or an entire directory. I did one for a client that worked on an entire directory of part files, DWG, and DXF files.

JP

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. We do not want to go to a flat pattern or even make it a sheet metal model. I am looking to import an IGES or STEP file and run an add-in that will automatically tell me the cutting perimeter with no other work involved. Saving as a sheet metal part and manipulating to get to a flat pattern takes us too much time. In other words, we want to do this on the 3D model in non-sheet metal mode. We do lots of quoting and want to minimize the time it takes to get this perimeter (which by the way includes outside cut length as well as any internal holes, slots, etc).

Jay

Reply to
Jay Jacobs

CAM =3D Computer Aided Manufacturing

Try

=2E..otherwise Jay you'll need to write your own VB addin.

enat

Reply to
pixburghenat