bacon grease deodorizer/ liquefyer?

I've been experimenting with bacon grease as a cutting fluid. My co-worker doesn't like bacon (and its smell) or the fact that it solidifies on the machines, etc. Is there something to add to mask the smell and turn it into a liquid? Maybe I should just forget abut it? Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

just use it in soup (assuming you did not overheat it) and use cutting fluid for cutting.

I cannot think of a better way to attract furry critters to your shop than using bacon grease.

Ignoramus21521

Does your co-worker wear a turbin?

Reply to
Dixon

One can buy lard by the pound in grocery stores.

Bacon grease can be cleaned up by boiling it in water, and then cooling. The crust on top is the now largely odor-free lard. Discard the water.

The lard will go rancid, regardless of source.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

No, he's Catholic and just prefers sausage. :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

It's the original tapping fluid. Heard it rocked because it stuck to the tap. I bet it smells better than tapmagic. Try crisco grease, it goes on as a grease, and with a tiny amount of heat it turns into oil. I heard it was great on tiny drills.

Reply to
vinny

I have used bacon grease as a cutting lubricant for over 20 years with good results. Your friend must have an unusually sensitive nose if he is bothered by such a mild odor, but anyhow there are several ways you can deal with the smell, one of the easiest being to pour the grease into a clear jug or jar and let it sit in a warm place for a few weeks. Eventually the liquid part of the fat will separate into a yellowish oily layer on top of the solids, and you can then pour this off and filter it for a very good and practically odorless substitute for lard oil. If you don't object to the smell of kerosene, you can also add a little kerosene or paint thinner, works well with aluminum.

Mike

Reply to
KyMike

Try some lard oil (McMaster has it)

Reply to
John&Michelle

Use cod liver oil on Fridays.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

A lot of the newer "green" cutting fluids have a lard oil base. Was all my plumber granddad would use for threading iron pipe.

As others have said, bacon grease has salt in it, the iron ways on your equipment won't thank you. I've read the old tip columns from the '30s where guys were using tire patch cans full of bacon grease for lubing up taps. Nothing was said about rusting up stuff, probably the tap life was so short on those carbon steel things anyway they didn't care. You can get as good or better results with the cutting waxes they have these days, no stink, sticks to the tap or saw blade and it works, no rust. Castrol makes one type, there's other makes. A stick the size of a regular caulking tube ran me about $3 over at MSC one time. Lasts a loooong time. Works good on aluminum, too, chips don't weld to the edge.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

works really well cutting pig iron.

Reply to
jimz

It must have been some time ago that you bought yours. MSC now has one by LPS for $13 & one by Stick-Kut for $10. Each is 15oz tube. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt