Source for dowel nuts (cross dowels) left & right hand

I have checked mcmaster and the rest to know avail. I am building handscrew clamps. Need a few of them, left and right hand. I am not ready to lay out the cash cuz I have everything but the dowel nuts covered. Mc master has left hand 5/16" all thread which I will weld to right hand all thread. Have baltic birch ply to laminate the wood arms and handles. I have found a left hand tap and I have some 5/8" brass rod if push comes to shove........sounds like a lot of work though. I see these dowel nuts on all types of machinery , why are they so hard to find? Maybe it is easy for mfg to make their own out of rods. 1/4" dowel nuts can be found , but I don't think it is stout enough for say a 12" handscrew clamp. Jorgenson makes do it yourself kits for about $20 but I could buy the whole clamp at horrible freight for that......maybe a couple of them. Thanks in advance Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Maybe i use them and dont know what to call them .

Explain what a D nut is .

Im a doer , not a "teacher"

Lyndell Thomps> I have checked mcmaster and the rest to know avail. I am building handscrew

Reply to
werty

Round stock crossdrilled and threaded . Make them in left and right hand threaded pairs , stick them in holes drilled in a couple of hefty pieces of maple and tie the two together with rods threaded half and half . Commonly called a parallel jaw clamp by woodworkers . Also works great to break the bead loose on a motorcycle tire .

Reply to
Snag

A dowel nut is a piece of barstock or rod in my case about 5/8" diameter by

2" long with a hole drilled and tapped not lengthways but @ 90 degrees to the length of the rod. It advantage is being able to swivel and push or pull at the same time.

| |

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Try here:

didn't have the time to search for you but they have billions of things you can't get just anywhere.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Try here...

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Is this a result of using a non-fixed width font ?? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

I just finished making 8 of them out of 1" brass rod, threaded 1/2 NC to hold a sigh frame together.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca