Riveting stainless

I want to connect some stainless together so it will look nice. 16-22 ga. range. It has to be better than the SS pop rivets. I don't want that sharp raggedy edge hanging out the back. Pop rivets will work when I want to join a piece of SS to square tube, and the back part won't be visible, but when it will be, and can grab a finger, not acceptable.

Where can I get something that will work nice? Is this something that is pounded together, done with a crimper, or what? Also want to do copper and steel.

Ideas about sources on a system that will be simple to use?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in message news:_RiFe.48812$4o.19530@fed1read06... | I want to connect some stainless together so it will look nice. 16-22 ga. | range. It has to be better than the SS pop rivets. I don't want that sharp | raggedy edge hanging out the back. Pop rivets will work when I want to join | a piece of SS to square tube, and the back part won't be visible, but when | it will be, and can grab a finger, not acceptable. | | Where can I get something that will work nice? Is this something that is | pounded together, done with a crimper, or what? Also want to do copper and | steel. | | Ideas about sources on a system that will be simple to use? | | Steve

Monel rivets are the ones you want to be looking for. Everything else will corrode or create corrosion in stainless. Ships and boats usually use them in pop rivet form, and aviation in solid and pop. For the best look, you should use solid/driven rivets, although you'll get a square tail hanging out the back (prettier than a pop rivet, though) assuming you've learned how to drive rivets properly. You can drive them down a little flatter, though, or using the right die, round both sides. The tooling is available from any aircraft supply, from kit builders on up. You can buy just what you need or even buy a whole kit of all tools. The rivets, from my quick web search, seem to be a little harder to find. I got decent results on Google with "monel solid rivet."

seems to have a good selection, but I don't know anything about them. Ask the supplier about the best tooling for driving them for your application. A lot depends on your access to both sides, the size of the rivets, and so on. Ebay has lots of tooling, which will be rivet gun (definitely not an air hammer!) the dies, and bucking bars (or you can make your own if you'd like, but purpose made bucking bars are much better and not as much hassle) but it helps to know what you're after. If you need help, hit me up off list. It's simpler than it sounds, but I will admit I'm an aircraft assembler. And you should practice a good bit before you start working on a finished product, it goes without saying. I'd hate to find you bounced the rivet gun across the material and drove a hole in it!

Reply to
carl mciver

The rivet kings

Also check out a Tandy Leather store near you for 2 piece rivets.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler