Scam?

[ ... ]

Well ... "greatfull" instead of "grateful", using the lower case 'i' for the personal pronoun, "read from you", "received" instead of "receive", "the pick-up" instead of "a pick-up", "Quickly get back to me", "to make fast transaction" without "a" before "fast".

Many of those could just be typos -- but the overall feel says that is not the case.

What do you want to bet that he will send you a check for too much, and expect you to send the excess to some third party in the US -- so you are in essence at a minimum laundering the money if the check is truly valid, which I strongly doubt."

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Uh, no? "greatfull?" The pronoun "I" in lower case? Too bad you snipped the original - I spotted about a half-dozen blunders.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Even then, it was never used in the US. Canada, yes, and there might have been some kind of "zone" code, but I can't remember the term at the moment.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

As in "greatfull"?

Reply to
Don Foreman

With this post you may have exposed Gunner to a new hobby...

Reply to
Don Foreman

The phraseaology is west african pigin english. They always leave out the "a" between fast and transaction. The problem is giving your contact details. You could say your moving house and could he send the cheque to a post restante address. To wire the money youd need a wire address, How to get this without him giving it is difficult. or say your moving banks and can he send cash by courier. The last thing you want is for him to send a friend around to your address to sort you out. As we say here in the UK. Depends how much else you have to do to give him the scammer runaround. Ted Dorset UK.

Reply to
Ted Frater

So, send him your name and mailing address, which are pretty much public knowledge anyway, and if you get a check, take it to the bank, and if it clears and the bank says, "Yes, you actually have those dollars now," contact the guy and have him come and pick it up. Or ship it, or whatever the terms are.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you get a check and it turns out to be good, why not just do the deal?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Please provide the info to him. I'm betting the "bank certified check" comes in with a postal code from Benin. If you want, message me and I'll give you my info to give to him. I'm trying to hone my "interpret the English translation to determine the country of origin" skills and this sounds like the semi-broken English you would hear from Benin, Togo, or Ghana with my gut telling me it is Benin.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Great advice. A local woman was recently convicted for doing just that. Of course, you're too stupid to realize that you can be arrsted and tried for doing something like this.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Give him the address of the local police department.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do not bet, because you would be wrong. The check will come from the USA.

I received several such checks (of course, I never cashed any).

Most of those guys are in or near Lagos.

Ignoramus13521

Hey, dumb ass! If he saw the ad on a local Craigslist why would he have to ask:

Name: Address: City: State: Postal Code: Phone Number:

This scam has been going on for years, maybe a decade to hook idiots like you. If it was a legitimate it wouldn't use a cookie cutter scammer script. I get the damn things from people wanting to 'Buy from your company', then they ask for the URL of my business website. I don't have a company, or a business website.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I strongly suggest that you do nothing, Gunner. If you try to pull a reverse of it on the guy and get caught, YOU go to jail, not him.

Treat him like a scammer/spammer/troll and do not answer his posts at all, ever. Whenever anyone does, it only encourages them. That's why this group is overloaded on a daily basis. It's not only the original posting scum, it's the stupid replies by everyone else who can't resist. Just Say No, and LET IT GO!

P.S: Got a small box of Tula yesterday. Stocked!

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Some of these scammers are in touch with other scammers here in the USA, who WILL physically pick up the item in question. Do you really want to screw with one and face the retaliation that one of his buddies could inflict? Don't be stupid.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The one time I baited the guy and received a fake bank check, it was literally mailed from Benin. I eventually replied back that I am a Sicilian American with ties to the Mafia and that we were on our way to visit Benin, track him down and make him pay for the embarassment we experienced at our bank... I received many apologies from the contact and we talked for a few weeks until he realized I was yanking his chain.

...That was when I had free time in my life. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Yes, I got one, saying he would pay me more than what I wanted for an item. He wanted a lot of information to send me a check, and that upon receipt of the check, he would send someone to pick the item up, as he was out of town traveling. The English was questionably broken. I did a google search for the return company, and read about lots of craigslist scams, and those stupid enough to bite on them.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

You can be arrested for answering an email? Really? Or was this person arrested for trying to cash a check sent to her through the mail?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Well, they were "zones". As in, Washington, 12, DC, where I grew up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Well, no, the problem is if the check is NOT valid, then you are on the hook for a significant bad check fee, often at least $35. Also, since the check will likely be counterfeit, you may get a visit from authorities who will interview you somewhat harshly. Of course, you will be able to show them the emails, envelope the check came in, etc. But, you'll be out significant expense and time. You may be able to save some trouble if you take the check to a friendly bank and ask them to verify the check is good first. (Of course, this requires you to have a friendly bank. After many huge bank mergers, these are getting harder and harder to find.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson