Why square head set screws?

I can see that square heads could be torqued tighter than socket/allen
heads, but why not just use a hex head?
The question is prompted by my having to remove a square head screw from
the hub of a spoked wheel. What a bitch! There was no room to swing an
open end wrench and I have no square or 8 point sockets. A hex head
would have been a piece of cake. You can be sure that a hex head will
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt