OLED???

Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think about the whole thing...
Thanks for any info!
David
On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:

I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world wide web".
John Aspen Research, - www.aspenresearch.com "Turning Questions into Answers"
On 15 May 2006 11:44:58 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aspenresearch.com"

In all the MS webcasts i notice the redmond folks say "dub dub dub", and for product like 'WWF' they say "dub dub ef"

And in Yiddish, (Oy) Vey Vey Vey!
On Wed, 17 May 2006 17:45:55 -0400, mc wrote:

Have you seen the ads for the new movie? "MI - aye, aye, aye!"
Cheers! Rich
Gave us:

And the retards that go 'round calling folks "Bush worshippers" are no more than a follow the flock sheep with blinders on that goes for whatever his also wussified peers are going for that week.
On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than LCD manufacture.
OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.
EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and individually wired... YES WIRED.
IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.
It has several miles of wiring in it.
It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.
I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the first two do not count.
Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.
OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost effective way. Not right now though.
The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated from behind and express serious limitations in color producing capacity as a result.
OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their lack of this capacity.

If they can get the service life up...

I think you meant LCDs. LEDs are light sources.

Not quite true. It is simply a matter of matching the filter and the light source behind the LCD so that only the desired primary comes out.
Light from common LEDs can be fairly close to monochromatic, as you point out, but similar effect can be had from LCD by using filters with reasonable isolation between the primaries and using a backlight composed of line spectra of the primaries instead of broad spectrum white light.
    Alan
On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:30:00 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@w6yx.stanford.edu (Alan Larson) Gave us:

Yes. Mild dyslexia. Bad place for it to happen, though. :-]
On Thu, 18 May 2006 06:40:09 GMT, the renowned Roy L. Fuchs

You probably need more sleep.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:28:09 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Yes, of the eternal kind. :)

You're a goddamned retard, boy.
I should be cruel and turn in your bullshit as a threat. Get your wussy, adolescent mosh pit punk fuck ass in a sling.
Gave us:

But then you would have to declare your real name.
On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:32:49 GMT, the renowned Roy L. Fuchs

Funny, the ones I have here look a lot an awful lot like LCD displays. Glass substrate. Multiplexed, of course, which works better with diodes than LCDs.

They are *already* competitive with VFD displays. They've been used in one manufacturer's consumer products for several years now.

Whatcha smoking, dude? LED = Light EMITTING diode.

Yes, the gamut varies with different display (and printing) technology, if that's what you are trying to say. I should have some full color ones in hand in a couple of weeks.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

Did you get a chance to look at the BACK of the OLED panel?
Get back to me at that time.
Oh, and it is a glass frontispiece.
On Thu, 18 May 2006 06:43:57 GMT, the renowned Roy L. Fuchs

The panel (20 x 2 character) is two sheets of thin glass sandwiched together with both an FPC connector and zebra connectors. Outwardly very similar to equivalent LCD panels. Different materials and processes, of course.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

Yeah right. An MP3 player/picture viewer with an array size amounting to a few thousand pixels.
Where are the large OLED FPDs at? Well...?
On Thu, 18 May 2006 06:45:20 GMT, the renowned Roy L. Fuchs

Small displays are where they shine, so to speak. Monochromatic displays too.

If they *never* appear that's just fine by me. They're great for the stuff I design. Horses for courses.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

_________________________________________________________ To demonstrate the polymer OLED display's ease of manufacturability in larger sizes, Philips Research has developed an inkjet printing process using a four print-head printer equipped with 256 piezo-driven nozzles. Together with the PolyLED material suppliers and print head manufacturer Spectra, Philips has developed inks, print heads, substrate processes that enable the production of large screen OLED displays with high accuracy and reliability. The system uses a novel printing method in which eac h sub-pixel (R, G or B pixel) is built up from multiple droplets fired from different nozzles. The system is capable of printing displays up to 24 inches. Larger displays are possible simply by increasing the size of the printer.
http://www.physorg.com/news96.html How would they "wire" such?