OLED???

On Fri, 19 May 2006 07:50:09 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@w6yx.stanford.edu (Alan Larson) Gave us:

They made it like two or more years ago. It is not a production item.
It does 24 Hz at its max res.
writes:

Maybe he was referring to the IBM T221, 3840x2400 LCD panel [9.2 megapixels] ?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article 78

Nope. The display I refer to was a prototype, and was 19 M pixels.
That was three years ago.
writes:

Where did you see this? At IBM Research or a conference.
Normally they show their stuff at SID, but I don't recall a super-res OLED from IBM... have seen a bunch of impressive OLED's from others though.
Heck, their 9m pixel LCD screens look almost painfully sharp to me.
R Sweeney wrote:

IBM almost always makes a big, public splash when they break some technological record. The complete absence of any evidence to back up Roy's claim is telling.
As far as I know, this system:
<http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/one.php?id936
Is the current, real world resolution leader.
Matthew
--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

You're an idiot.
All it tells is how retarded your research capabilities are.
Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

I even tried your ultimate source of all correct information: www.eetimes.com. Not a word.
You are making it up, or said otherwise, lying. There is no 19Mp OLED display, prototype or otherwise. There isn't even a 19Mp LCD display.
Care to prove me wrong?
Matthew
--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

Hey! Roy!
Have you found any proof of that IBM 19MP OLED display or were you caught lying again?
As foul mouthed as he is, I am no surprised at him lying to get attention.
Matthew
--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
On Thu, 18 May 2006 07:59:52 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@w6yx.stanford.edu (Alan Larson) wrote:

Sort of like this? _________________________________________________________ Stacked OLEDs      In the mid 1990s, a highly-innovative SOLED stacked OLED was conceived by Dr. Stephen R. Forrest and his team at Princeton University. Using an award-winning pixel architecture, the SOLED is based on stacking the red, green, and blue subpixels on top of one another, instead of side-by-side as is the common configuration for CRTs and LCDs, in a vertically-integrated OLED structure where intensity, color and gray scale can be independently tuned to achieve high-resolution full-color. While SOLED architectures may find application as a high-resolution pixel approach, there are a number of new possibilities for stacked and hybrid structures in lighting and other devices that build on these earlier innovations.
http://www.universaldisplay.com/novel.htm
"Roy L. Fuchs" wrote:

Always? Then why don't we see more LED based monitors? CRTs aren't bad for color rendition. We've had years to play around with the phosphors, and phosphor chemistry is easier to adjust than semiconductor junctions.
Probably the best system, color-wise, is the DLP projection stuff, where the light source and color filters can be selected separately.

Not for color rendition.

Whoopie doo.
If your brainy (claim to be) ass knew what the color triangle looked like, and where displays fall into place on them, you would KNOW that an LCD display CANNOT reproduce the same spectrum as a CRT, OR an OLED. Hell, they even have problems with grayscale production.
You need to bone up on monitors and displays, Chucko. I don't what you have been calibrating with what instruments, it doesn't mean that you know jack squat about display devices.
Gave us:

It is called a color wheel, not a "triangle"--at least it was when I got my degree in color. White light is a full spectrum.
Pantone Calibration instrument.
People that are as defensive as you usually turn out to be dumbass morons. You use insults and anger to hide your ignorance.
For my work I know this: CRT's aren't as sharp or detailed as LCD. I see much more detail in my images on LCD. Color is calibratable to 5000K and my screen matches my print output at the lab to a "T". What more do you want?
Also there is always this fasicnation with "vapor ware"--some exotic device that humbles all other devices. So don't buy now--just wait a bit longer. Trouble is there is always a new vaporware lurking in the shadows. Reminds me of a guy I knew that was rebuilding his sports car to be really fast with all this high tech equipment. It sat on blocks for years awaiting polished ports and high lift cams. The car never made it to the pavement. In the meantime we, with our humble stock sports cars enjoyed driving around summer after summer.
Moral of the story is to buy something and watch programming. A tv is a device to be used--not jewelry.

I think he is talking the color gamut graph... which is not a wheel, but a triangle.
Just a suggestion, you need to the loose the attitude and learn to play nicely with the other children.

Not in additive mixing.
It is NOT a color wheel. The item I refer to is made by the SMPTE folks. It is called a CIE Chromaticity chart, and has a triangle like shape.
You must have been asleep getting your degree when they went over how to measure color.

You're an idiot. You are also guilty of your own bullshit remarks.

You're an idiot.

You're full of shit.
They don't even have the video bandwidth to receive the same set of colors, much less reproduce them.
My 19" Viewsonic has 185MHz video bandwidth, and there isn't an FPD out there (short of the IBM I mentioned earlier) that can correctly reproduce color as well.
You are totally LOST if you think for a second that FPDs have caught up with CRTs as it relates to color accuracy, as well as fine pitch array manufacture. CRTs are still king.
Gave us:

As far as practical application--that I use--it is better. I compare my Viewsonic 19" to my Trinitron CRT. My print match is better and both were calibrated. The LCD is also sharper.

You're a joke.
Tell us, oh all knowing twit... what are the dot pitch specs on both devices?
I'll bet the sony tube is a 0.25 or less phosphor pitch.
I'll bet the LCD is a 0.28 or higher.
If it was the defining element back when CRTs were all that were around, what makes you think that has suddenly changed now?
Sharper indeed... Sure, bub. About as sharp as you are, Oblio.

Oh boy! The Pioneer must be a PRE HDMI model (apples and oranges) and that STILL doesn't prove you know anything about displays. IN fact, it points to you knowing even less.
I have a 37" dual mode Toshiba CRT that STILL beats out my Viewsonic HDMI 32" on HDTV signals. Hands down.
An FPD has motion artifacts in fast moving scenes. A CRT NEVER has ANY motion artifacts.
Since you likely do not even know what a motion artifact is, you should back out of your pathetic argument now.