Just Doing It?

I have a bit of a newbie question that I'm hoping somebody might be able to answer. I'm working on a project that needs a small copper or brass dish-- nothing parabolic or fancy, but just a plain dish. I'm wondering if I just sketch it in on my diagrams and take it to a machine shop, would the people there be able to make it? Thanks.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Duvall

If you need just one, you may have better luck looking through a five-and-dime or hardware store for a kitchen gadget or tool that has a "dish" in the shape and size you need. I'm thinking of measuring spoons and ice cream scoops right now - although finding these in brass or copper may be the difficulty.

Machining a thin dish out of copper or brass sounds unlikely although I'm sure you could pay to get it done. More likely would be to make a wooden form and hammer copper or brass sheet around it.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Reply to
David Billington

You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does tinsmithing. Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a form of hardwood and a hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the surface should be done with a soft hammer to take out the roughness. Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more than an hour (or three) to rough and finish.

Bob May

Oh, no; nothing that large. I just need a small dish, about

1" diameter or a little less.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Duvall

In that case how about the domed end of a copper pipe cap?

Reply to
Ken Davey

Depending on the gage - might be able just to press one out of a sheet.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Try a copper pipe end or closing item. One inch copper pipe sweat on end cup.

If the cup is to long, the length can be trimmed down.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Go to ;

and look at their base metal catalog. Somewhere around page 21 you will find brass domed disks.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
pkdickman

That would still be the artist type stuff. A recent show of The Woodwright Shop had a gal come in and do some tinsmithing and, with a few (special) tools, she basically did a teapot on the show. Domed the lid and all. A sandbag and a little work (maybe 2 minutes) with a nylon rounded hammer and it was just like it was stamped by a big machine. Grab a soft headed hammer and play around for a bit and you will see how easy it really is to do. You will probably have a rejection of the first few tries but remember that copper can be annealed by getting it to a red heat and then letting it cool either by air or in a bucket of water and you can try again with softer blows to make it right.

Bob May

Thanks for the tips, folks; they are much appreciated.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Duvall