Router Bit in a Mill?

I did a cabinet for holding CDs in maple this way. Everything came out to about

+/- .001" accuracy, and I tapped the thing together with a rubber mallet. The mill probably won't spin the bit fast enough, but it should work pretty well. There might be a little more chipping of the edge due to this.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I need to make some moderately precise pieces out of plywood (birch model aircraft plywood). Should I just chuck a router bit up in my mill, or is there a better bit to use?

Danke.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It works. No problem. Rev up! It also works the other way, if you use a router bit in the router on aluminium. Supposed you use cutting oil. I did that to make radii.

Bitte. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I've done wood work in my mill and rather than use as router bit I used a BRAND NEW 4 flute running at top speed. I figure that since the mill isn't running as fast as a router I needed more cutting edges. I've worked both hard and soft wood and have astounded a few cabinet makers with what I produced.

You can do dado, dovetail, and mortise and tenon and that are EXACT.

I made a jig to do some tongue and groove work that was pretty cool too.

FWIW this was all for 1/8 scale model work.

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August