Going non-ferrous, health safety and other advice wanted

Now that I have a plasma torch and Beverly shear, I'd like to play with copper and brass.

My first concern is the lead and Zink. I'm thinking of several possibilities to protect myself: disposable welding mask, a respirator, opening the garage door and turning on a fan (cold option in Minnesota), blowing outside air (through a heat exchanger) into my hood with shop vac hose like someone here said, and some combination of the previous.

Then I get to wondering about lead dust settling on everything in the shop from sanding and polishing?

I'm also wondering about what alloys are best to use. I want to make leaves and such and be able to weld or braze them to copper or steel. The local metal supplier has 260 copper. I didn't find anything on it except one site that discussed brass 260, 70% copper and 30% zink.

I once tried to hot forge brass, which seemed stupid. It really didn't seem to get much easier to work hot, then if it got just a little too hot it would crumble like a cookie. Wouldn't welding copper with 30% zink be sort of the same? I'd expect thr zink to just burn off.

Thanks for any help ?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

There is very little lead in brass, and only in leaded brasses, which are normally only used for machining.

Brass is mainly Copper and Zinc. The Zinc does stink and is not good to breath.

Copper based metals are a problem for me now. I have done so much work with them over the last few years, that I have become sensitized to the dust. About 3 hours after exposure I get horrendous sneezing fits. Now I work brass, bronze, and copper with a full respirator.

The bigger health hazzard is stainless steel. When you plasma cut a metal , there is a certain percentage that gets vaporized. The vapors condense into a micro-fine dust, that can get into your lungs.

Steel isn't that hazzardous since your body can break it down and get rid of it. Stainless steel has nickle and chromium in it, and the only way for your body to get it out of your lungs is to cough up phlegm.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

Doesn't copper have lead in it that would vaporise and be just as bad or worse than the chrome & nickel?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Copper sheet is 99.9% pure copper, there is no lead in it at all. There are traces of other metals, but not lead.

Copper is very easy for you7r body to dissolve and dispose of. Even easier than steel, because it is so reactive.

Chrome and nickle are both highly inert, meaning your body can't break them down.

You are not getting poisoned by them, it is just an obstruction in your lungs.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The added complication with Ni and Cr is that some of their compounds are carcinogenic and asthma inducing.

I'd have to take some of the blame for this since I've been involved in Ni mining. The last laterite Ni project that I worked at (in Papua New Guinea) had a reserve of nickel that was picturesquely quoted as "enough nickel to make a stainless table setting" for each person on earth. (The author did not specify if that included dessert forks and napkin rings).

Zn irritates the mucus membranes and causes fluid in the lungs. Cu, I'm not sure about, but the oxides are possibly worse than the metal dust (remember that copper pots are ok but the oxides on them have to removed before use).

- Graham

Reply to
Graham Parkinson

Brass is Lead and Copper. Bronze is Tin and Copper.

Copper is Copper with or without trace elements.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

No Brass traditionally was copper and ZINC. Bronze was copper and TIN.

However times change. Architectural bronze is a zinc alloy and red brass is a tin alloy. Go figure. You can also make bronzes with aluminum, nickle, and silicon.

Lead is only added to certain alloys to make them easier to machine, hence "free machining" brass.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I beg to differ. The OXIDES of nickel and chromium are relaively inert (though they cam be dissociated by some bodily fluids) but the elemental metals are moderately reactive, and they, as well as their compounds, are biologically active. Many chromium and nickel compounds are toxic (an obvious common example being CCA-- though the arsenic is the major toxic component). The metals can be absorbed through the lungs if inhaled, and can react to create more toxic compounds. A more insidious issue is metal sensitivity-- an allergic reaction to the metal which will develop from repeated exposures (sometimes even one exposure). Also note that copper is a very common metal allergy, and copper will form toxic compounds, such as tis oxides, in the body.

Note that this isn't a major concern if proper hygene is used in handlng these metals and alloys containing them--wash your hands after handling (very important with copper as it will deposit on your skin and react with sweat and skin acids), don't suck on or chew metals (I worked with a shop teacher that actualy sucked on coins-- I always worried about him), use proper ventilation and breathing protection when welding and heating, etc.

Admittedly, the major risk is inhalation of fumes with most common metals, not handling them or oral contact (you eat with a stainless comtaining chromium and nickel, after all), but you really do need to be careful.

Whoops - was sleepy that time.

Copper and zinc. That is why chlorine de-zinc's the pluming in houses. Zinc Chloride is the water solution and one ends up with a sponge of copper.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn