HOW WOULD YOU do it?

I have a stainless, small, pony keg that I want to cut in half lengthwise in order to make a barbeque to hang of the side of our boat.

I was thinking of marking it with a chalk snap line and then using a reciprocating saw to cut it. What might be the best method absent any exotic tools?

What can I use to cover the edges other than some expensive s.s. rod?

Thanks

Oh, the keg is full, too. Beer was frozen. Naturally, I will empty it.

Reply to
knowone

I suppose you are defining "exotic tools" as tools you don't own?

The best way to cut this would be with a plasma cutter. If I didn't have one of those, then I'd use a 4" cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. If you don't have one of those then I'd buy one of these: (often on sale for $16.99-ish)

Do *not* cheap out and buy one of these:

because guys I know who bought them have suffered *extremely* short service life, often an hour or two.

The cutoff wheels I'm talking about are this kind:

and if you don't want to buy a ten pack then go to your local hardware store and buy just one.

A 4½" angle grinder is in no way an exotic tool. I own about 9 angle grinders and use them all frequently.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I would use a jigsaw. I suggest a pretty good quality one, like the Bosch variable speed model that I have. You'll also need a fresh pack of the proper blades.

If you're steady, you could also use a 4 or 4 1/2" grinder and a cutoff blade.

I didn't understand the question about covering the edges.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Thanks, GE.

What I meant by exotic is folks suggesting a CO2 or other laser. Or, even a plasma cutter because I don't own one.

I have all of the tools that you mentioned even including about 7 of the ones that you said not to get and I am happy to report that they are all doing just fine. I have used them extensively, too.

I appreciate the tips.

K.

Reply to
knowone

Okay Gary. Thanks for the input.

Well, after the keg is cut, the edges will be very sharp and although they could be rounded off, I would prefer to put some sort of molding on them. I could only think of some small ss round stock such as 1/4" or so. Got any better ideas?

knowone

"Gary Brady" wrote: I would use a jigsaw. I suggest a pretty good quality one, like the Bosch variable speed model that I have. You'll also need a fresh pack of the proper blades. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And definitely wear hearing protection.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Aiieeeeee... I was cutting a 55gal drum in half the other day. You talk about racket!

Reply to
Gary Brady

I would think something like this:

seems a little pricey. You might have to shop a bit to find the right product.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Thanks. As you say, a little pricey and besides, it would hold water. I think 1/4 inch ss rod welded on would be better.

Reply to
knowone

Yep just picked up 2 of those.

I just fried one of these by using it for about 1/2 hour and melting the brush holders out of alignment.

Reply to
Steve W.

Don't buy a toy if you want a tool.

That piece is disposable.

I paid $100 for a milwaukee, it is 5 years old, and shows no signs of wear.

How many $15 grinders do you want to go through?

BTW, my brother was seriously injured by a chinese-manufactured wheel for one of those, I'd especially avoid the wheels

Reply to
Jon Grimm

I was down at Gunner's place and told him about my buddy buying one of the blue HF angle grinders and having it die in an hour. He showed me an orange one and said it had been going strong for 3 years. Since then I've seen about 3 more like that.

If you print out the current flyer from harborfreightusa.com and take it to a HF store you can buy the orange one for $18 right now.

It is cheap yes, and can be considered disposable, but if the guy just wants to hack a keg in half, he can buy this tool, do the job, and only be out a $20 bill.

Their 4" cutoff wheels aren't made in China. I have a 10-pack, maybe 5 or 6 left, they work fine.

There *is* a place for inexpensive tools. This happens to be one. Would I buy one? No way. I own a Milwaukee, and a Ryobi, and 2 Makitas, and ...

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Jon Grimm wrote: ...

  1. I have 4 or 5 4 1/2" grinders. No way I'm going to put 0 or 0 in grinders.
  2. I buy a grinder and put the other in a 5% money market account, in 2+ years I have enough $ in interest to replace it. If it lasts for 5 years (mine are still going strong after 5 years), I have in interest. Multiply that by 5 grinders (9 for Grant).

Nice tools are nice. I don't believe in having more tool than I need. Saves money for other tools.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I also have Makita grinders but these cheap H.F. grinders are holding up just fine.

Reply to
knowone

Besides the Makita and the blue H.F. ones, I also have an orange H.F. unit and several folks have told me that there is no difference. Who knows? Anyway, I have used mine for all sorts of jobs and they do just fine FOR ME. Ymmv.

I do oil them regularly.

knowone

get some 1/8" X 1" flat stock and just bolt it to the lid ,a piece on each end and one on each side ,or you can get 2 pieces of rod and tubing and bolt it the sides of the lid and grill body that way it will sit flush with itself but you should take this to a weld shop to weld it on which would be more reliable . good luck

Reply to
badaztek

Those are great ideas. Thanks. I can weld.

knowone

I also have a Makita and a orange one. But the orange one is from Fein. Fine indeed!

NB: Fein is German and means fine. Fein is a German company.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller