Cheap source for Casio G-shock watches?

My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents, banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter, depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I am wearing one right now. The Atomic G-Shock. Bought at K-Mart for about $80 US.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

For some reason, people that don't wear watches have a much better internal clock and can "feel" what time it is fairly accurately.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ive heard that before, and am not sure its true. Ive always had the ability to count off seconds nearly dead nuts, and when asked, without looking, can generally give you the time, within a 5 minute window, most notably during the day.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Oh..Ive also heard the old saying..big watch, little penis.

Its totally besides the point that I wear a Big Bend on one wrist...

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Back before I gave up on watches with plastic bands (too many of 'em broke right off at the ears) I used to buy Casio watches at Sears. Best price I could find anywhere when they went on sale there.

GWE

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Same here. 'Bout $78 at China Mart. Advantge, don't even have to set & forget. It'll set itself hourly between 1 & 5 am every night.

Rick Bowen TSRA - Life Member lex talionis. Sleeple - One who just getting to condition white is a day trip.

Reply to
rickb308

These have come down in price since I got mine:

Bart Bailey

Years ago, when I was in Europe, they had a watch called a Rado, or something similar, that took a time signal from radio towers located around Western Europe. But that signal wasn't available in the USA so I couldn't buy one.

Now, I have as good as or better 8-) I think in some ways [ get ready for this ]

WE'RE BEHIND THE TIMES!

( warned ya )

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

That is exactly the same watch I bought at K-Mart. Great minds think alike.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Sat, 17 Dec

2005 22:16:15 GMT in misc.survivalism :

For some it is. OF course, if helps if the time clock has the same feeling about time.

I could too, once upon a time. But when the view out the window at starting time is not enough different than the view at quitting time, either you are working too many hours straight, or you're working nights. And it is kind of hard to get a star sighting through the reflection on the window.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Costco when they have them.

Reply to
ATP*

Nah, we're not behind the times. The feral government just doesn't turn loose of it's toys as quick as we'd like.

3' accuracy on GPS ring a bell?

Rick Bowen TSRA - Life Member lex talionis. Sleeple - One who just getting to condition white is a day trip.

Reply to
rickb308

Yah, I was crucified on the cross of Selective Availability for most of the years it was turned on.

I think it was my threat to March on Washington D.C. that helped force those buggers to turn it off ;-\

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I never wear a watch except to church....what does it mean???

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I use a 100 year old Watham pocketwatch owned by my Grandfather who was a railroad engineer for grandtrunk in the earlynineteen teens to keep the trains on schedule. Wind it once a day. keeps perfect time. William Peterman was his name. Ran steam locomotives in Illinois and Missouri The clock stops exactly at 3;33 everyday if I forget to wind it.

Reply to
daniel peterman

I figured I better check through the thread to see if someone else said that first. My knock-around watch is a G-Shock Illuminator from Costco, but they seem to get in a batch about once a year.

You could have Customer Service search the system to see if they're on order any time soon...

Nothing at Costco.com, unless you want to blow $14,000 on a Patek Philippe. (Yeah, right, suuuure...)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I have a modest collection of Seiko Automatics (self winders) and a couple Boluva autos, and a couple Accutrons, but I hate like hell to wear them day to day, in my line of work. Im currently wearing a Seiko

5, blue face, but Ive already scratched the crystal, just wearing it for 3 days. Ive got some bids going on used G-shocks on Ebay, but they are already creeping up higher than I want or can afford to pay. When the G-shock went poop (cant change the time...buttons are frozen..time change ... I put on one of the cheap Russian watches I have..and it lasted 2 days before dying. The only thing so far that seems to work, besides a G Shock, for my type of work..is a hunter case (crystal cover) pocket watch. And I dont have a chain for any of them.

Dad was a watchmaker with his own store for 30 yrs, but when he retired..wholesale pricing got lost..damnit. Along with repairs.

Ive got a marvelous old Seiko 'bullhorn" chrono, but the pivot that the self winding counterweight swings on, blew out. Last person that gave me a price to fix it was $275.

Its really hard to find a watch repair place anymore. Least, one you can trust.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Costco is the cheapest I've found. Karl

Reply to
everyman

Open the old one and see If it will work by pressing the tabs that are the switches. Just remembered if I can find it I have a working G shock mechanism that I destroyed the case on. It's yours if you want it. I can throw it in the mail for free too. Let me know and I'll try to dig it out. Karl snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
everyman