Aluminum pony kegs -- how thick?

Anybody know how thick the metal is on the sides of an aluminum pony keg? Ted Edwards, didn't you make a buoy out of one of these?

A guy wants me to weld some parts to a pony, would like some idea of what I'm getting into before I start blowing holes in his keg.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Just because its something I'm interested in...What are you welding to/into them? Sorry I don't have an answer for you on the thickness.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Weight/ surface area = thickness * density. Average of course, but maybe good enough.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote: Weight/ surface area = thickness * density. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Since the answer does not seem to be forthcoming, I will suggest another approach. Drill a small hole in one of the spots where you plan to weld, so you can see the metal thickness. Your weld will close the hole, and no one will be the wiser.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Depends on how thick it is. Something to which a line could be secured.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That'd work, but I'd like to make the parts in advance, before I get a look at the keg.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You can TIG or MIG a pony keg just fine. It has more than sufficient material to weld on. I used one for a fuel tank one time, and IIRC the material was quite heavy. I also seen one cut in half lengthwise and turned into a BBQ grill, and where it was formed and drawn into ribs it was somewhat thinner but was still quite substantial material.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Won't work as different parts are vastly different thickness. If your are the same as ours in UK, wall thickness is about 5mm. The rolling rings and bands are heavier.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Reply to
Tom Wait

I take it that you are refering to beer kegs. Sorry I don't know the dimensions. I made anchor bouys out of outdated 20lb propane tanks. See

and associated files. These have been in service now for four or five years with no significant rust problems and have withstood some pretty severe storms with a heavy fiberglass 18 fotter deep-V moored on one. If this fellow is near you, it must be a fresh water job so you may want to consider the propane tanks painted with a good primer and epoxy paint. Propane tanks are available free for the picking here. I've never seen an aluminum tank/keg at that price.

The kegs sound interesting. What pressure are they rated for? If a couple hundred psi they would have to be strong enough. Also what alloy (since welding would anneal it)?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

He apparently already has one. His question to me was "can you weld something onto my pony keg?", rather than "how would you make a buoy?" Beer kegs may be easy to get "up north"; I know another guy who made a floating raft using 8 of them.

I don't think they see much pressure, but they do get handled a lot. If they had much pressure they'd be difficult (and even hazardous) to tap.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks! Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'd love to know where! I could use a dozen!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Evidently more folks drink keg beer up north than they do in the south! Guess moon shine in gal jugs still prevails in the south, or those kegs are just to hard to hoist up and carry around in the front of our pickup trucks.

I remember when I lived up north seeing the beer delivery man abusing those kegs he would deliver to the local taverns. They got rolled and banged around pretty good but still remained in tact and in good condition. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Check out

That place is legion in home brewing circles. I wanted to make myself a 10 gallon boiler awhile back, bought one of their 10 gallon "Euro" kegs.

Had the top plasma cut out, the bottom ring open up a little, smoothed up the edges, and "Bob's your Uncle" (said in remembrance of the teenut, who didn't mind a good beer every now and then).

Here it is in action at 5F recently:

That is SS and has a nominal thickness of .050". At it happens, the curved bottom of the keg sets on the top ring on my turkey fryer burner, the lower skirt on the keg hangs down and traps the heat. I can get a good rolling boil on 7 gallons of wort in the dead of winter in Maine. Yahoo!

Reply to
Jack Erbes

I acquired a few of the typical beverage dispenser type kegs, (like used for miixing syrup etc with carbonated water, and use them for pressure sprayer tanks. I have one for herbicides, fertilizer, bug killer etc etc. Sure beats usuing thjose pump up plastic sprayers.

I was given a brand new in the box 22 gal all stainless steel portable eyewash station. It is now used mainly for spray use. I have it mounted on a small trailer with a long hose with a long shot spray wand. Sure is nice to tow it behind the garden tractor and do all the spraying. Its hooked up to a 12 volt pump / motor assembly and uses the pump for the pressure instead of the schraeder valve and air compressor. Visit my website: