Rob Stewart on model trains

His interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live, 10/21/2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOvnhiFxRjA#t=0m18s

D'oh! Rod Stewart.

D'oh! Rod Stewart.

Think he really takes it "on the road" with him? Big HO layout!
Y A W N.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:14:04 -0700, "a425couple"

You think he did all that work? My money says he paid somebody to do most if not all of it!
--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!

In the article he says he just takes along the little projects he is working on such as buildings.

He says in the article that he has someone doing most of the secenery as he is not adept at it. He also says it would never get done if he didn't have someone doing the construction due to his family needs and work schedule.
More power to him. There is no requirement that everything be done by the owner.
In the article he says he just takes along the little projects he is working on such as buildings.

He says in the article that he has someone doing most of the secenery as he is not adept at it. He also says it would never get done if he didn't have someone doing the construction due to his family needs and work schedule.
More power to him. There is no requirement that everything be done by the owner.
-------------------------------
Like I wrote.
"Y A W N"
Same for any so call "celebrity modeller" who get others to do the work for them.
Mind you, he did stand up for model railroading on a TV interview so he gets credit for that.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

Mayhap you could issue a "Celebrity Modeller" rulebook that would explain in detail (pun intended) what a celeb is required to do in order for you to consider them a real model railroader?
Of course you're going to have to write a lengthy introduction for your tome, explaining why said celebs -or anyone, for that matter- should care what you think about how they choose to enjoy their hobbies, but hey, don't let rationality stand in your way.
Sheesh.
"Twibil" <Mayhap you could issue a "Celebrity Modeller" rulebook that would explain in detail (pun intended) what a celeb is required to do in order for you to consider them a real model railroader?
Of course you're going to have to write a lengthy introduction for your tome, explaining why said celebs -or anyone, for that matter- should care what you think about how they choose to enjoy their hobbies, but hey, don't let rationality stand in your way.
---------------------------------------
Carry on living in your star smitten little universe where celebrities can do nothing wrong. :-)
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On 11/1/2010 6:30 PM Roger Traviss spake thus:

You seem to make the opposite assumption, that celebrities are ipso facto incapable of properly enjoying a hobby--let's say, oh, I don't know, model railroading--the way "ordinary folks" do. That they shouldn't be allowed any credit for pursuing such a hobby--after all, with all that money and notoriety, how could they possibly be a real model railroader?
Which sounds just as ridiculous as star-worshipping ...

No, I just don't think that people with money who pay others to do the majority of the work should not get full credit for the completed model railway.
They may as well be one of those large commercial outfits that charge entry. I find those just a boring and uninteresting. Trains running roundy go roundy on the "Worlds Largest Model Railway" is as dull as ditch water. Model toy trains perhaps but a model railway is more than that.
Yes, I realise his time is limited due to the number of days he spends on the road but then so are mine and I can't afford to pay someone to build my benchwork, or lay my track, or build my scenery and if I could, would it really be mine? That's like me paying some professional artist to paint a landscape or portrait and then claiming it's my work.
Of course, MR is just as guilty as they are cashing in on Stewart's name and fame as they were with Gary Coleman all just to sell more magazines.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 21:10:28 -0700, "Roger Traviss"

There are two ways of answering this. First, has Rod Stewart ever claimed to have done all of the work, or even the majority of the work? No. Second, would said model railway exist at all were it not for Rod Stewart? No.

Which is your opinion, and might even be in the majority. Me, it's my train, and I'll run it anyway I damned well please, and it's Rod's layout, and who built it, and how he plays with it, is none of your damned business.

No, though there's a lot of precedent for it.
It's like you paying some professional artist to paint something for you, and then claiming that it is your property, which it would be. It would be yours.
Rod Stewart's layout is his. He paid for it, he owns it. He does what he believes himself to have the talent to do, and wisely pays experts to do what he cannot.
You have layout envy, is what it is.
--
Doug Wickstrm

LOL.
I don't even like his model railway. It's too, what's the word? Disneyesque?
I was quite satisfied with my own GER thank you very much. :-)
The type of model railway I like is more along the lines of style of modelling as performed by W. Allen McClelland, Tony Koester, the Pendon Museum, Jim Six, Eric Brooman, Paul Dolkos, Rick Rideout, Jack Burgess et al not Miniatur Wunderland, John Allen, George Sellios, and other Disney type modellers.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On 11/1/2010 9:40 PM Roger Traviss spake thus:

Spoken like a true snob.
Hey, I love Sellios and Allen and all the rest too. But ... forget it.
"David Nebenzahl"

Nothing snobish about high class modelling.

Your choice, if that's what makes you happy, more power to you.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On 02/11/2010 02:18, Roger Traviss wrote:

True, but sniffing down your nostrils at those who don't conform to your standards is snobbish. And then some.
wolf k.
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:18:48 -0700, "Roger Traviss"

That comment wasn't directed at modeling, it was directed at you.

"was" ?

"late" ?
OK, I'm just an occasional lurker. It sounds like you no longer have the layout. Do you care to explain what happened to cause you to no longer have it?
Meanwhile, this thread reminds me --- I'm more interested in sports car racing. And I do like the older ones also. Every year we have a huge 'vintage race'. Last year I talked quite a bit with a guy that owned, drove, and was doing all mechanicals on a little, crude, simplistic 1947 JAP 500. Neat. I also enjoyed talking to a guy who owned a Porsche 917 (Ultra fancy, complicated, sophisticated, obviously needing considerable professional care.)
Both extremes are wonderful and have my great respect!

Funny you should mention that....
I usta race SCCA stuff back in the day.
http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/photos2.asp?id=54939&photoID=90048&albumid=0
~Pete