Re: How Live Rules In Solid Edge Work

> Jon Banquer > San Diego, CA

Soild Edge....?

Reply to
wurz

Just a bunch of links on your blog from what I can see, where's the objective assessment of how SE *really* works for real users....?

Regards

Martin

Reply to
wurz

Well Martin, Jon hasn't actually seen a program with "Synchronous Technology" live or have any seat time with it. So Jon's "objective assessment" comes from viewing well rehearsed & produced Demo Videos, glossy advertisements and all the new marketing Buzzwords.

Reply to
brewertr

I don't think it's in production yet Tom. Weren't they going to start delivering at the end of the summer or something?

Jon's three ring binders are probably the same sort of thing. That and everything he could retrieve from Google's usenet archives and plagiarize.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

A couple. You clearly understand that there will be an expensive migration issue and you might want to press the manufacturer to see what they have in mind as a solution.

The added functionality UG is touting has been avaliable to Catia users for years. The intersecting window selection thing is just a gimmick and wouldn't be something you'd use all by itself. It's great to be able to manipulate imported data in this way but what you are really seeing is a slick interface for constraint management.

The "new" SE isn't going to be what hurts SW and SW end users will be lead into Catia if SE starts taking market share.

Frankly, there are a lot of end users that push the SW product way beyond it's effective use. Recognizing that someone falls into that category and ought to look for fuller product has nothing to do with Solid Edge, UG or anything else.

Anyway, I skipped all of this. I was a very early Autocad adopter and the third party support for mold making was tremendous. I never built a single library and we could always build directly to the data. When the time did finally come to get serious about parametric modelling and feature based design I chose to learn Catia.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I am interested so I hope you will post about the seminar and your opinion based on what you observe/learn.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I would be interested in how SE allows one to migrate from one system into SE. Do they have a utility that can expedite/automate migrating legacy files into SE.

Parts, Assemblies & Drawings can any or all file types migrate/import and keep their associations? (Do they come in as smart or dumb files)

On the migrating/importing of non-native files:

How do you determine and keep original design intent?

How does the import handle the original file constraints?

(these constraints having to do with critical dim's for fit, form and function with upper level assemblies which you don't have)

How do you determine which (critical) dimensions on the imported model should be locked and which can be unlocked?

Can you lock and/or unlock these imported critical dimensions?

etc., etc., etc........

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Ah yes, the electronic Roehrsach of a sociopath AKA your blog.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

How is a press release on a blog hosted on a software piracy site going to help answer his questions? Why don't you demonstrate your infallible knowledge of Synchronous Technology, and answer his specific concerns?

Reply to
Joe788

Some useful info to be found at http:///

They've done a full spread on Velocity Series, including a *reasonably* unbiased opinion on ST, page 36. If you register, you can download a PDF of the mag at http:///

Not a bad read for a CAD mag - better than MC*D at any rate...

Martin

Reply to
wurz

Oops, typo on the download link, should be

Martin

Reply to
wurz

Don't listen to the monkey spanker. If you perk your ears and scan the only noise you'll hear is the little pudd nocca.

Real people

aren't especially excited about explicit modeling. It's nothing new and I doubt the new 'synchronous' bells and whistles are going to attract a big following either. Kind of like Think3, VX and all the rest of kinderCAD jonnie's former miracle Tekernelologies.

Reply to
comme ci comme ca

And of course Jon has denied anything like it exists:

(3-21-2008 CATIA) Live shape begins about 1 Min. into the video.

(4-22-2008 Siemens)

(CATIA)

Reply to
brewertr